Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Element owner (2005 model) and I plan on driving her to Colorado this summer. I want to install a hitch so that I can use a cargo carrier (max 500 lbs.). I've seen several types of hitches, and I'm not sure which one would be best. I will do nothing more with the hitch other than using it for the cargo carrier and, possibly, a bike rack in the future. I am thinking a Hidden Hitch, class I or II would be best. I also want to install it myself, so I'm looking for something I won't have to do a lot of work to install. Anyone have a suggestion for me?

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had Uhaul put my class III hitch on. Like the idea that it is a 2" receiver for other things as well as my trailer.

Ken

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
For bikes and carriers, the larger 2" receiver provides more stability than the 1 1/4". For trailer pulling, Honda's limit is 1500 lb trailer weight, a 1/10 of that for tongue weight. I'd say, stick with 150 lb for the hitch load, 200 max, 100 better.

100 lb on the back probably has less effect on handling than 100 on the roof, but if you add that weight to a full cargo space and 4 people, the back end will be sagging.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not the one that you get at autozone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pos!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts