Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here goes. our 6 y/o boxer, lil ms. abigail had surgery about a week ago to remove a mass on her hind quarters. we picked her up that same evening and she was still sedated, but did really well with walking. she slept for the better part of the evening, which is to be expected. she was on pain medication for 5 days and i attributed her overall demeanor to this. she just kinda laid around, didn't get up unless it was to eat or go potty. we had quite a bit of snuggle time! on the 6th day she was walking around almost as if she was drunk. she laid in the floor and would just stare off into space. she would go down the steps and miss the bottom one, and not fall over but kinda teeter and catch herself. she would look to jump up in her chair and hop up but then topple over. my thought was maybe she was in pain and not used to dealing with it. the next day i called the vet, they checked her out, and noticed one side of her face was unresponsive, and her upper lip was hanging low...they diagnosed her with palsy...my poor lil thing. so one side of her face resembles a mastiff, still as (mom goggles) adorable as ever! the vet said that sometimes when pets are laid on their side during surgery palsy will occur, but she said lil abby was on her belly?!? the vet wants her back in about a week, said it is possible that it can go away, if not neurological tests will need to be done. but i'm kinda curious to see if anyone else has had this experience. or what causes it?!? the vet said it could be just the extra stress. abby is coping well tho, kinda sad to watch her eat, takes her a bit longer, and she is still wobbly when it comes to moving at times. so if nothing more maybe just some prayers for the lil pup, she has been such a blessing! and for some good news, the mass was benigin!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
You and Ms. Abigail have had quite a week! Great news about the mass being benign. The palsy is a curveball. Sorry I have no experience with that in dogs.

A human friend was stricken with it a couple of years ago. Doctors never could figure out what caused it and he gradually got better. One side of his face, half his mouth and one eye were affected.

Hit him out of the blue. Otherwise healthy. He's in his thirties.

Best wishes to you all. I just said a prayer for you both.

:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Egirl,
Sorry to here about your pup. I have never dealt with this myself, but I have a pretty large dog support group. I will copy your post and email my friends and see if I can get you some info. Give her a hug that is what she would do for you.

Brian

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hiker chick- i know a few people that have had palsy (bells?sp) i believe. One mom had it shortly after giving birth to twins and another lady i know got it, dr. said it was a result of too many chemical peels?!? who knows, lil abby has had neither :roll: but thanks so much for your prayers, they mean alot!
brian- i appreciate your concern, its amazing how people can come together! hugs have been aplenty and whoever said snuggle time is overrated is wr0ng!

thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am sorry to say that none of the people I was counting on could help. They have not experienced this problem. How is your girl doing?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...she should have been named trooper! i swear this lil girl takes every day in stride...we have had quite a few good days, a couple not so good but we don't focus on that! her balance has either improved, or shes adjusting to limited use of her one side. and we thought she drooled before?!? whew, bring on the bibs, she almost always has a constant stream of drool hanging from her jawls...i actually did get some baby washcloths to wipe it off, which work very well! and lil sis bella has stepped up to the plate as big sis, she has been remarkable! we definately have so much to be thankful for, and abby is our reminder! thanks Eple for all of your concern!

·
Registered
161 Posts
My niece had Bell's Palsy... she was in jr. high and it was so scary. Turns out it was a bacterial infection of the inner ear... maybe it has a relationship to the ear of your dog too?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting! i wonder if pups can have the same kinda thing?!? i will ask the vet about this one! thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts