Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive done a few searches. has anyone found a suitable emblem for the front? to me it seems to be close to 6 inches across and the biggest ive seen is 4.75 across and 4 high. the rear will be simple and the red SC lettering but the front has me stumped.

btw im new :p just got my element 2 days ago with 4 miles

chris

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just pull it off and paint it yourself. It's pretty easy to remove and what does a little red rattle-can paint cost these days? I suspect it's just a little bit cheaper than buying a new 'H'

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of painting it. I was mostly worried about the depth look. red resin/plastic inserts would be great.

well im going to order my rear emblem. and when that comes il match red paint and do my SC emblem and the front H

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hey Toasty,

Not sure if you know this but Racerc2000 is right... The front H on the grill IS 6" wide and 4¾" tall...Plus it's over 1¼ DEEP!!! Just sayin'...

LBD

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive decided to order a new grill. i only wanted the plastic backing but it seems they come as a kit :/ but. im going to fill the voids level it out and paint it red. and reuse stock emblem.

but besides that.. do you happen to have a semi close pic of that emblem on your E?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ive decided to order a new grill. i only wanted the plastic backing but it seems they come as a kit :/ but. im going to fill the voids level it out and paint it red. and reuse stock emblem.

but besides that.. do you happen to have a semi close pic of that emblem on your E?
How's THIS bud...?

If you want it closer, let me know...

LBD

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks LBD

and toasty the red emblem looks good but for me i still think its a tad too small. if only we could swap in the older grill. its not really the black that would bother me just the difference in emblem to mount area. was there enough area to stick or does that emblem have a mount of sorts?

as opposed to say...this.

but its all personal opinion. im kinda torn its either huge emblem that fits. or a more normal sized emblem with the oversized mount area look.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Painted surround...

I painted the black recessed plastic piece behind my front "H" emblem about two years ago with paint code E4 on a Ford...basecoat/clearcoat. The black plastic is thinner soluble...I lightly sanded it, but it really doesn't need to be sanded. The basecoat will "melt" to it...so adhesion is excellent. The best part is.....it was free! I paint cars for a living....the Ford red was on the shelf and I used a very small amount...and same with the clear...used a very small amount left over from a job.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok its been a while and for now my front emblem is red. i removed the emblem and filled it with clear resin polished the front up and painted it red from the inside.

i think it looks good for now till i hack up my grill

·
Registered
109 Posts
what does it look like up close. Thats what im worried about....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
up close it looks like any resin filled and rear painted emblem.

you can wet sand and polish the front to a smooth as glass shine.

i went to a car show and lots of people liked it.

but it is not the same as the newer red H emblems. they are filled with red not clear. and due to the shape of our factory emblem filled with color would look off

i just did it on a whim. and it wont stay forever the look im going for is...
shopped by me

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hehehe

they are pretty similar esp the color XD

im still torn. i like your emblem better(style) factory really is too big. but i like the full fit. so im gonna remove the emblem totally.

too bad to do it perfect(the way i think is perfect) requires a 2nd grill as a donor of a section of mesh and a piece of upper and lower. an emblem would be cheaper XD

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think it would look much better not seeing a BIG "H" at all!

·
Registered
282 Posts
hehehe

they are pretty similar esp the color XD

im still torn. i like your emblem better(style) factory really is too big. but i like the full fit. so im gonna remove the emblem totally.

too bad to do it perfect(the way i think is perfect) requires a 2nd grill as a donor of a section of mesh and a piece of upper and lower. an emblem would be cheaper XD
I had a similar idea/thread a few months back about removing the front H completely from the 09/10 model. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62450
Looking at the back of the grillle, it appears as though it would be a big project to make it look right after cutting. I'm not sure i'm up to it, unfortunately, because it would look great...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think it would look much better not seeing a BIG "H" at all!
I completely and fully agree. I really want to get rid of it!! I'll likely paint it black to try and make it invisible, but it would look so much better to have mesh all the way across with no H at all.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just so ya know the kind of work involved. it would be simmilar to this for the generic install not requiring 2 grills. and it would look fine if you replace the mesh on back of grill or if you did not cut the grill and placed mesh over the front.

its not much room but yes! the chrome emblem can be removed and leave enough room to have a flush front mesh grill style. but everything requires some fabrication. so for this mod it is either.

lots of fab to the mesh insert(home depot ebay etc) as it will require a compound bend. literally bend the ends flat to the back of mesh around 3-4 inches around whole piece. then bent back at a 90 degree angel. the edge can be left as is or covered with door edge trim or slit vacuum line. for a finished look

the fit of the mesh has to match the widest opening from the front but the mount has to match the smallest .

or you can do like the acura guy. cut out the emblem mount and fully replace mesh that would only require 1 grill.

as for my personal mod it requires 2 grills. a new grill runs round 70$ and can be used to modify 2 grills. so if you have a friend who wants to do same it makes it cheaper. well for mine it requires sectioning the grill and paint afterwards. lots of plastic welding(i have a 50lb spool of abs weld)

but basicly you cut a 7 inch section out of grill A and graft in place of the emblem section. the most tedious part is the factory mesh as you have to plastic weld and grind every connection of the mesh.

my abs spool is white so it requires painting the mesh also. but if you use black you can prolly get away with no paint

il post pics soon and prolly a full step by step with pics

1 - 20 of 22 Posts