Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm looking at a 'refurbished' Kicker amp. its says its refurbished by Kicker and comes w/90 day warranty. just wondering if anyone here has any previous experience with refurbished amps and know if they're worth the risk and extra savings compared to buying new? are they good just like the new ones?? thanks :cool:

·
Registered
557 Posts
IF it's refurbished by a company itself, it usually means it was never sold and was last years model or something, and it's been cleaned up and taken out of the box to make sure it still works. But if it's not from Kicker themselves, it would mean someone else owned it and they took it apart and made sure it was as good as when it was made so you would probably not have an issue with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's interesting as I have always thought that anything that was refurbished was bcz it had a minor defect and was sent back to get repaired. it doesn't make any sense to me to sell a product as 'refurbished' for 30-50% less just bcz of the fact it was last years product. its still new. thanks for your input Serj. anyone else?

·
Registered
834 Posts
That’s a risk you have to take, just be careful on where you buying such items, just if you would buy a use car, you don’t want to go buy it from anybody just because they told you that it's all fixed up and good to go, I always go to the dealer even for used cars and it must be Certified, just for a peace of mind, especially if any problem occurs, later I know where to go.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
that's interesting as I have always thought that anything that was refurbished was bcz it had a minor defect and was sent back to get repaired. it doesn't make any sense to me to sell a product as 'refurbished' for 30-50% less just bcz of the fact it was last years product. its still new. thanks for your input Serj. anyone else?
it can be for both reasons. returned to the manu cause they didnt sell and the retailer got credit is another reason. this is because most manus wont sell "new" product to internet retailers/ebayers so they dont pi$$ off their legit retailers. but some are actual refurbs meaning they were repaired and resold, sometimes people send stuff in to get fixed, they fix it them the person doesnt want to pay for the work that was done, or they are returns under warranty and the customer already got a replacement shipped, etc. many things can constitute a "refurb" but they are generally just a solid as a new one if it is from a good manufacturer like kicker.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah, I thought that was weird too, but a while ago I found out that a lot of the stuff a company has that's "refurbished" is just stuff they couldn't get off the shelves from 2 years ago, and they open it up, make sure it's good, and sell it for cheap. Dell does it a lot. They sell older computers and they are "refurbished" but no one has ever owned them. I can think of a few other companies that do it as well, including Dual, and Pioneer.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have bought 3 refurbed Rockford amps, I just look at it as the amps got all the kinks out and its good, I have also bought a broken rockford t4004 and it was a 2008 Model year for $60 and called Rockford and threw a fake fit and they repaired it for free and sent me a free set of T1 tweeters for my "troubles", I thought I deserved it for the THOUSANDS I have spent from them, like 10k+. I am a huge rockford fan but like kicker and my other newest fav is AudioQue, I heard a full system of every high end part and was amazed!
Wow that went way off topic, lol. Refurbs are fine if you get them from an authorized dealer, I dont trust ebay though.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I bought a b-stock nine.1 from elemental designs a few years back. Things been running strong ever since. I haven't exactly babied it either. I'm thinking I've bought some other refurbed stuff over the years and never had any problems. But I'd also imagine its a little hit or miss. What others said about manufacturer vs independent refurbing makes sense too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts