Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
We've updated our reliability stats for the Element to include owner experiences through the end of 2014.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008 Element: 58, moderate, small sample size
2007 Element: 32, low, very small sample size
2006 Element: 75, moderate, small sample size
2005 Element: 12, low, very small sample size
2003 Element: 52, low, small sample size

We'll have further updates in May and in August. Additional participants very much needed--I'd love to drop those disclaimers and provide more precise stats for the Element.

For the details, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Honda Element reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
278 Posts
How does this compare with other Hondas with similar drivetrains in the early 00s?

02-06 CRV and 03-06 4 cylinder Accord for example

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here you go:

2006 CR-V: 29, low
2005 CR-V: 31, low
2004 CR-V: 56, low
2003 CR-V: 106, moderate
2002 CR-V: 100, moderate

2006 Accord: 38, low
2005 Accord: 42, low
2004 Accord: 61, low
2003 Accord: 85, moderate

We do badly need more participants for the Element. Unfortunately, this is often the case with discontinued models, even those that remain popular as used cars.

For those reading this who aren't already participating, I hope you'll consider it.

www.truedelta.com/join

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, how have these cars been doing lately?

Our reliability stats for the Element now include owner experiences through March 31, 2015. (Others are nearly a year behind.)

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year ("low" is best):

2008 Element: 42, low, small sample size
2007 Element: 25, low, very small sample size
2006 Element: 65, moderate, small sample size
2005 Element: 11, low, very small sample size
2003 Element: 48, low

No stat for a model year? Then we very much need more participants for it. Same for those with small sample size notes. Next updates in August and November.

For repair descriptions, the stats for other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Honda Element reliability

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Our reliability stats for the Element now cover the year ending June 30, 2015. (Others are over a year behind, and so report how these cars were doing when a year younger.)

Repair trips per 100 cars:

2008 Element: 42, low, small sample size
2007 Element: 14, low, very small sample size
2006 Element: 42, low, very small sample size
2005 Element: 11, low, very small sample size
2003 Element: 69, low

If a model year isn't listed, or its sample size is small, then we especially need more owners involved.

For the descriptions of all reported repairs, results for other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We've updated our reliability stats for the Element to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008 Element: 35, low, small sample size
2007 Element: 14, low, very small sample size
2006 Element: 24, low, very small sample size
2005 Element: 12, low, very small sample size
2003 Element: 84, moderate, small sample size

We'll have further updates in February and in May. Additional participants are needed to provide more precise stats for these cars.

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We've updated our reliability stats for the Element to include owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2008 Element: 37, low
2007 Element: 13, low
2006 Element: 65, moderate
2005 Element: 36, low
2003 Element: 68, low

Small sample sizes for all years. With additional participants we could provide more precise stats and cover all model years.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Was reading through this older thread. My 2007 is now 9 years old with 103,000 miles. As far as reliability, it is the just about the most maintenance free vehicle that I have owned. Had to take my wifes 2010 Altima to the dealer today to have the A/C compressor replaced. Car only had 32,000 miles on it. Also under warranty had the radio and push button starting system replaced. I am not a big fan of the push button start system that most cars have today. I drove the car to the dealer, but had to grab the other Key Fob because the battery in mine was dead.

The Element on the other hand has never had any maintenance on the A/C system and is still is on the original feon charge. Only costly maintenance was replacing the rear shocks/struts. You can't really complain to much about that as it is a normal wear and tear items. With only 32,000 miles, it will be a while before replacing the Altima, but an Accord has to have a better maintenance record that we have had with the Altima.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2006 element is still going strong. The only thing major I had to do to it over the years I owned it was get the ac fixed, and get a new battery put in. Also something to do with the steering. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed it so I had it done. You know it probably didn't need it but I guess its better to be safe then sorry. Also the CD player does not work. I dont know if it ever has or not. It just won't read Cd's at all.

No vehicle is perfect and the element is no exception. It gets driven quite a bit though but with only these major problems so far or maybe just minor problems I say this has been a pretty reliable vehicle for a car nearing 10 years old.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Consumer Reports has this type of information also, been a while since I've looked, and it will be more brand (honda, ford, chevy) rather then specific model, but in this day of building cars on a platform does it matter?
I've heard the new Ridgeline (which I'm waiting to see ) is built on the CRV platform.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Consumer Reports rates the 06 07 08 10 Elements (insuff data on 09 11).

All years, all systems and overall report as 5 (best) reliability except:
06 trans minor, drive system, suspension, brakes, body integrity, boy hardware, audio are 4; electrical is 3
07 electrical, climate. paint. power equip is 4; brakes are 3
08 trans major is 3; trans minor, climate. suspension. paint, body integrity, power equip are 4; brakes are 1; overall is 4
10 body integrity, power equip are 4; brakes are 3

According to this, you want a 09 but they are all very reliable - I have an 08 which looks like the "least good" of the lot.

Looking over the car's service records, I notice brakes have needed work every 50K, and at last check (120K service) I was told rear brakes have 30% left.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
We've updated our reliability stats for the Element to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2008 Element: 40, low, very small sample size
2007 Element: 50, low, very small sample size
2006 Element: 65, moderate, very small sample size
2005 Element: 61, low, small sample size
2003 Element: 83, moderate, small sample size

As suggested by the sample size notes, additional participants would be very helpful.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
We've updated our reliability stats for the Element to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2008 Element: 40, low, very small sample size
2007 Element: 50, low, very small sample size
2006 Element: 65, moderate, very small sample size
2005 Element: 61, low, small sample size
2003 Element: 83, moderate, small sample size

As suggested by the sample size notes, additional participants would be very helpful.

These "stats" are misleading without stated context.

Excluding recalls, in 100k miles of Element ownership, I've had 1 shop trip for a trivial repair of an intermitent warning light cause, that I could have done myself if I were at home instead of out of town on a family vacation .

If you exclude.maintenance repairs of consumabl3s like brakes and widespread Federal recalls that involved nearly every brand and so should be dropped from reliability comparisons, an ANNUAL frequency of shop repair trips of 40-83% is ridiculous.

It is closer to the expected frequency of repair per 100,000 miles of new vehicle ownership per vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
We've updated our reliability stats for the Element to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2008 Element: 32, low, very small sample size
2007 Element: 51, low, very small sample size
2006 Element: 98, moderate, very small sample size
2005 Element: 49, low, small sample size
2003 Element: 95, moderate, small sample size

Additional participants always helpful.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
What exactly does "LOW" or "MODERATE" mean? Even if nothing else had gone wrong with my '08, the recalls alone would've been more than what I call "low" and all the other problems I had would've placed it much higher. I only know two other E owners, a beautiful '05 (I believe since it's Rally Red) and an '06 that both also needed regular repairs in engine, electrical, and suspension. My own '08 needed more work than I ever had to put up with on my lifetime of GM pickup trucks and I've not put that many miles on it yet - just passed 50K. The trucks saw semi-commercial use.

If you're only reporting what's volunteered by owners, you're only going to see the boasting and the disgruntled (mainly the boasting) and your statistics will be hopelessly skewed.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
No answer...

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you want to know about longevity, check out, www.copart.com , and see how many wrecked Elements have over 200,000 miles. I don't see any with over 300K at the moment, but I did see several with over 300K last month- the highest was 390K. The insurance value seems pretty high for the high mileage ones, too. I just spent $329 to have a new Denso radiator installed- last one was replaced at 160,000 miles- the replacement lasted 74,000 miles. If this one lasts the same amount, I will have 300K on the odometer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Going through the prior owners repair records that he gave me, I counted a long list of repairs- which is just normal wear and tear-
brakes, calipers and rotors, all 4 struts, starter, radiator, window regulator, timing chain tensioner, various suspension parts, Vtec spool valve (oil leak), alternator, 2 serpentine belts & a tensioner, transmission drain and fill 2x, Valve adjustment @ 160K, Spark plugs -2x, power steering pump, several hoses--
Those were the bigger items-
I have 234,000 miles on my 2005 Element and I hope to join the 300,000 mile club - I'm retired, so it will take awhile.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts