Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most here probably already know, Accords (as well as others, I'm sure) have had a feature for a while now that allow you to double tap and hold the unlock button to automatically roll the windows down (and open the moonroof if so equipped) on those blistering summer days on your walk up to the car. I've found one or two threads about it being implemented into our Es that were born, lived, and died in a matter of days a decade and a half ago.

I've seen some members say that they've equipped their cars with aftermarket units that do this, but I really don't have room in my pockets for another remote. I'm wondering if we can find a way to make this feature available to us, and keep it as functionally similar to how it operates on the Accords. I know some of us have chosen the use the MDX remotes, as I have and I'm also considering the possibility of utilizing it on the useless to us liftgate release button.

The logistical issues I've come up with so far on the back of this napkin mostly pertain to my lack of wiring diagrams on vehicles that have this feature. I'm not sure how the receiver creates a sustained signal for rolling down the windows, or if that logic would be possible with our remotes and receivers.

If it is possible through our remotes and receivers and not done by relay, if it's possible for our receivers to transmit a sustained signal for the trunk unlatch feature that we don't use, with some cutting and splicing we would theoretically be able to have a "window down" button if you've got a fob with a spare button.

If our hardware is unable to make a sustained signal, which I suspect may be the case, one may consider swapping hardware to that from the Accord, which uses a different frequency than what our cars are equipped with. This would mean new receiver, new fob, possibly a bit of a hack job on the pigtail for the receiver, but not major surgery. I assume their input/output functions are pretty much the same. But in this situation, in a perfect world, if the swap were possible the system would function just like Honda intended it to on the Accords.

It's a long shot, and I've dug around a little bit but have so far surfaced empty-handed. Does anyone have any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Wiring diagrams for Element and Accord keyless entry systems (this one especially)? I'm happy to sacrifice my car as a test bed, bankroll, and do the legwork, but the brains and the documents I lack in a little bit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
This is not specific to Honda as I am not familiar with their system. Having said that, in general this express window down function is software driven where the electrical accessories on the vehicle are all operated by a control module.

A window button on the vehicle would send a signal to a door control module or body control module to raise or lower the window as commanded. Similarly, a sustained hold on the unlock button on the remote would signal the remote door lock receiver that a unlock and window down command be sent to the appropriate control module.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,401 Posts
The Honda Odyssey has this function as well. Good luck in your quest!! (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts