Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very easy install. I did it in about 20 minutes. 15 minutes of that time was getting the cable off the battery and programming the remotes. I just could not get my timing right. Just Follow Element-J directions and the ones that come with the system and you are set. Boy am I glad I did. Thanks, Element-J :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
After looking at the photos, I decided to install the keyless entry myself instend of having the dealer perform the installation. I was curious about having to take off the battery cable. I know that is in the instructions, but is it necessary and if so, why? Any thoughts :?:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any time you mess with the electrical system, there is a chance of a short which may burn up the computer brains. Just do it, it only takes a minute.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You're kidding, right? There have been computer controls in cars for decades now. Of course, if you are thinking along the lines of PC's or laptops, then NO. But it won't be much longer before wireless internet terminals will be an on-board option...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can assure you that my comment was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek (my last new car was purchased before anyone had heard of Mr. Gates). However, I do appreciate the clarification and advice on the battery cable issue. I plan to play it safe and disconnect. Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh, they have the internet on computers now! :lol:

I plan on installing this myself when I get my Element. Doesn't look all that difficult..

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got it from H & A for just over $100. Since I'm not a tiny person though, it did help to lay down the front seat so I could get up under there. :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
just my 2 cents...Make sure that you got the stereo system anti-theft code handy,because if you don t it may be a pain to get it from the dealer,that unless they have it somewhere,may need to pull the stereo out to read the serial #. I do recomend to write it somewhere that nobody sees it,but you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did this myself as well. No problem, 10 minute job. Just make sure you have a flashlight, its dark up in there. :D

BTW - I did not take the negative off of the battery terminal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone know how the signal works for the keyless entry. On the keyless harness there is a signal wire instead of power wire. What to install an aftermarket system and would like to use this wire. Trying not to use the power lock/unlock wires not located conveniently near the keyless/security harnesses.

Mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
yes Mike, it would be nice to know the pinouts on those plugs. I am looking for a service manual on the element. If you knew the pinouts, it would be easy just to lock/unlock with an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
look in the back of the owners manual for info on where to get the detailed maintenance manual and electrical schematics. i think they were something like 70 duckets. i'm going to order a copy of the mechanical one in another 5000 - 10,000 miles.

i'd get you the order info, but my wife took the element to her soccer practice tonight.

shawn

1 - 20 of 28 Posts