Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm one of those people who hits the remote lock on my car as I'm walking away from it. For this reason, I always hit the key fob twice so I can hear the "confirmation honk" as I'm walking away. Alas, yesterday, I hit the key fob twice, and my car didn't confirm that I had locked it.

We hit the Panic button and THOSE horns still work, but not the 2nd hit confirmation honk. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is locking, and the lights are blinking, but I just don't get the honk. Is that really a door issue?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does the vehicle have a Honda Accessory Alarm?

IF the vehicle is equipped with a Honda Accessory Alarm, this is not an uncommon occurance - the alarm system has entered a valet mode due to "noise" from the ignition switch.

No Confirmation chirp from the horn because the alarm is not set.

There is a service bulletin regarding this concern.

Easy test, if there is an accessory alarm installed - unplug the alarm control module (white box, about the size of a deck of cards bolted to the dash support to the left of the steering column, green connector - stick your head under the dash - you'll see it) and see if the horn chirps normally when the doors are locked with the remote...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look at it. I purchased the car certified pre-owned with the alarm already installed. Since it was PO, I can't say if this was an original part of the car, or if the original owner put it in after-market. I'll check it out on my lunch hour today. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I purchased the car certified pre-owned with the alarm already installed. Since it was PO, I can't say if this was an original part of the car, or if the original owner put it in after-market.
An after-market alarm would (technically) have disqualified the vehicle from being certified.

Your Element would not have a 'factory' alarm.

If it is a Honda alarm, it is an accessory that was installed after leaving the factory.

The Honda accessory alarm will have a small red LED in the upper steering column cover, and a glass-breakage microphone installed next to the shifter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An after-market alarm would (technically) have disqualified the vehicle from being certified.

Your Element would not have a 'factory' alarm.

If it is a Honda alarm, it is an accessory that was installed after leaving the factory.

The Honda accessory alarm will have a small red LED in the upper steering column cover, and a glass-breakage microphone installed next to the shifter.
Hi,
I just bought 2009 SC Certified. Was trying to find if my model has an Security System. According to your post, as I understand, if I don't have red LED and microphone,so I don't have a SS and ALARM?
Is the LED always on the steering column and mic near gearbox?

Can you please tell me is there any way to test/check if I have an SS (if above is not enough as a "proof" that I lack SS and ALARM).

Thank you

baz

·
Registered
246 Posts
No "Factory Alarm" on Elements

On Elements, regardless of model / trim package, a Honda Security System is an Accessory item - installed after the vehicle leaves the factory.

It is either a DIY or a Dealer-installed item.

The Honda accessory security system has an LED that is supposed to be installed in the top steering column cover to provide the alarm system status as well as visual deterrance to anyone contemplating opening the vehicle without having a remote fob or key to the vehicle.

The Honda accessory security system will also have a small microphone to detect glass-breakage, which is supposed to be mounted on the shifter panel.

If this is not clear enough, I don't know how I can phrase it differently to make it clearer. Sorry.

FWIW the Honda accessory security system is a vehicle content theft deterrent, it sounds the horn if a breach occurs to the interior, either by a door being opened or a window being broken.

The Immobilizer system, which IS an INCLUDED item on Honda automobiles, is designed to help deter vehicle theft by disabling engine operation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On Elements, regardless of model / trim package, a Honda Security System is an Accessory item - installed after the vehicle leaves the factory.

It is either a DIY or a Dealer-installed item.

The Honda accessory security system has an LED that is supposed to be installed in the top steering column cover to provide the alarm system status as well as visual deterrance to anyone contemplating opening the vehicle without having a remote fob or key to the vehicle.

The Honda accessory security system will also have a small microphone to detect glass-breakage, which is supposed to be mounted on the shifter panel.

If this is not clear enough, I don't know how I can phrase it differently to make it clearer. Sorry.

FWIW the Honda accessory security system is a vehicle content theft deterrent, it sounds the horn if a breach occurs to the interior, either by a door being opened or a window being broken.

The Immobilizer system, which IS an INCLUDED item on Honda automobiles, is designed to help deter vehicle theft by disabling engine operation.
Hello,

It's shine and clear now. It means that I don't have SS and alarm itself.
Thank you. This forum is actually my only and best source of knowledge.
I brought my E to Europe since it is not offered in Honda Dealers in Europe and me and my girlfriend just LOVE IT.

Thank you,

baz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right...

...so I noticed while riding today today that when I flip the power locks down, the driver's side door didn't lock. I took it in and it turns out I need a new actuator. In hindsight, I wonder if my car wasn't "confirm honking" anymore because the driver's side wasn't locking...I'll test it when I get the car back. My poor toaster has had to have about $1,300 worth of work done in the past 3 weeks...and I've only got 140K miles on it...I'm starting to worry...:-(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does the vehicle have a Honda Accessory Alarm?

IF
the vehicle is equipped with a Honda Accessory Alarm, this is not an uncommon occurance - the alarm system has entered a valet mode due to "noise" from the ignition switch.

No Confirmation chirp from the horn because the alarm is not set.

There is a service bulletin regarding this concern.

Easy test, if there is an accessory alarm installed - unplug the alarm control module (white box, about the size of a deck of cards bolted to the dash support to the left of the steering column, green connector - stick your head under the dash - you'll see it) and see if the horn chirps normally when the doors are locked with the remote...
In case anyone comes across this later on in life, I had a problem with my recently installed factory Honda alarm where it would flash the lights but wouldn't chirp the horn and the horn wouldn't go off when I hit the panic button.

I unplugged the alarm module for ~30 seconds, plugged it back in, horn and alarm worked as it should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts