Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of another location for the spare tire. so that the well could be used for storage of stuff that you need but dont need sliding around. I've thought about the roof rack mount, trailer hitch bracket and even pondered about how cool it would look mounted on the front like the safari trucks in the movies. But this is the idea I have been hatching,GOBI makes a ladder for the Stealth roof rack (stealth way cool but not afordable) The ladder would make a nice attachment point for the spare. Now I realize that the struts would be to weak to hold it up so a handi brace would be in order.Can the hinges on the back window take the extea weight of the spare day in and day out? Then there's the visibility problem, but I'm a truck driver so I use the side mirrors most of the time and one of those cling fresnel lens could more than compensate for the obstruction.So now I'm looking for input, photos, ideas, advise and of corse validation of weather this is a cool idea and a cool look or just a mess.....

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
IMO you can't put a spare on the liftgate without ruining it eventually. A basket on the roof rack should work fine. Don't forget to secure the tire well (not just with bungees) and protect it from UV.

Agreed !

You may also wish to look at the solution that ramblerdan has on his website.

Dom

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO you can't put a spare on the liftgate without ruining it eventually. A basket on the roof rack should work fine. Don't forget to secure the tire well (not just with bungees) and protect it from UV.
so how about the safari look any ideas, if I were to go that way I would want to keep it tight to the grill and not way out say on a bull bar. I think putting it on the hood like the old german kubelwagon would obscure the drivers view.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,695 Posts
Ditch the spare and carry a 12v air compesser and plug kit. Lots of new cars don't even come with a spare tire.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Ditch the spare and carry a 12v air compesser and plug kit. Lots of new cars don't even come with a spare tire.
Yup. Most of the time the compressor & plug kit are better options than changing a tire anyway. The only time it comes back to haunt you is if the tire get a nasty gash and isn't "plugable."

Maybe add a spare to the roofrack when off-roading....and go spare-nekid the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yup, spare-nekid :lol:

Actually, most vehicles in Europe no longer carry a spare - the carry a compressor/self-patch kit like this:

Okay, Tirerack's links don't work when copied and pasted (thanks for catching that ApriliaGuy) - just do a Google search for

"Conti Comfort Kit" and the "M Mobility Kit".

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
mkh,

linky no workie. :-(

My compressor is part of my "booster box" which is very handy. I use the rubber-fiber strip type plugs. I like the better "T-handle" plug & reamer tools much better than the cheapy screwdriver style, but anything will do in a pinch.

Sorry...Back on topic....what about mounting the tire to a fold down bracket in a hitch reciever?

Maybe a "swing away" like my old Broncos ?

(I think both would be annoying...but your mileage may vary.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a full size spare on the roof rack, made a holder out of holey angle-steel from Home Despot. Uses the stock tie-down bolt with a wingnut on the bottom. When I don't have a lot of stuff in the car it gets stowed on the rear platform over where the donut would live, there's a plug to pop out and it can be bolted down back there.

The spare is mounted on an Odyssey steel wheel. I have only needed it once. I was driving down a godawful road in southern AZ and hit a mesquite stump or root. Tore a hand-sized hole in the tread. Michelin LTX M/S with perhaps 300 miles on it. Discount Tire honored the road hazard with raised eyebrows.

On that sandy road with ruts and rocks and deep mudwashes, a donut would have been useless and a patch kit a pointless joke. I doubt that a normal town tow truck could have gotten to me. There is no cell coverage there. It's a minor inconvenience to move the tire to the roof when I need to load the car, but I do it because I go places like that.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
As part of making a camping rig, I built a sleeping platform in place of the rear seats, and bolted a full size spare to the floor (to a seat mounting bracket) under the platform. And as an after thought, I removed the compact spare, and replaced the plastic lid with a smaller wood trapdoor. I store some tools and recovery gear there now.

I have not used the full size spare, though the idea of having it is comforting when traveling on gravel roads. I also have decent patch kit and air compressor. I've used the compressor once with a small puncture, and the kit and compressor once with a large hole (made by a chainsaw sharpening file).

I experimented with putting a fullsize spare on the roofrack. I'm not sure I would trust it on anything less than a Yakima Loadwarrior and its spare tire mounting bracket. The compact spare might work on a lighter duty basket.

From a weight distribution stand point, the spare tire well is the best place to keep the spare.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
so how about putting the spare on the front safari style any one ever tryed that ????
On the hood or on the 'brush guard'? I'd suggest looking at the threads on installing a guard, paying attention to the mounting points.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that this is my last brain storm could you or would you mount a spare over the back window on the driver side. A bracket could be made that would go from the roof to the upper fender. I've seen this set up some were but don't know where

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This could be adapted into something that fits close/low on the roof.

Recomended for 2wd only. ;-)

This looks like fun.

I like the "doors off like a Jeep" theme they got goin'.

Prolly not the smoothest ride....but better than the stock Wranglers

Whatever you decide on.........please don't do this:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know what you're saying about trusting the rack. I put mine up there at first with a Yakima cargo net over it, snugged down hard. Drove all over California, then back to the east coast, then down south, then back to New England, all for work. Was in VT and decided to check the tire pressure. The net had rotted away in places, was not really there any more, but the tire kept position.

Obviously in an accident this would not have been the case, so I made my rack for it right away.

I just renewed the hardware on it and stiffened it a bit with more metal, better than ever now.

I experimented with putting a fullsize spare on the roofrack. I'm not sure I would trust it on anything less than a Yakima Loadwarrior and its spare tire mounting bracket. The compact spare might work on a lighter duty basket.

From a weight distribution stand point, the spare tire well is the best place to keep the spare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts