Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you all would be interested in a remote start that you could install yourself? I have a connection that i can get a DEI remote start that will lock and unlock your doors and i can personally have them set up so it is element specific as far as the included connections and wire lengths with appropriate connectors already on the wires. also detailed instructions would be included with pictures showing where each wire needed to be hooked up. the only thing you would need to have would be an extra key that were programmed to be able to start the truck that you would be willing to lose. the valet key would work. it would run around 125-150 dollars plus maybe 10 bucks for shipping and it would be very straight forward to install.

Trying to gauge interest and see who/how many people would be interested.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Sounds good to me! Will it work on a 09? I have an 07 but am thinking of getting a 09 SC. Thanks Drew:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
i would be interested :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so far it looks like the hardest part would be to remove the bottom portion of the steering column to install the antenna ring around the key cylinder. this is needed to be done to trick the car into thinking that there is a key in there when the remote start is engaged. it would be detailed on the installation instructions too. still working out the details but the more people that are interested the more chance there is of being able to make it happen.

·
Registered
599 Posts
yes it would work on all years of automatic transmission.
If you could get a MT option thrown in, I'd be game. If it's just a matter of the clutch interlock, there are ways to bypass that.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anything that does remote start "can" be set up that way but this system is designed for automatic transmission vehicles only. This is one thing that i will not answer on this or any other forum as far as how it is done. way too much liability for life and property there. i have been doing alarms, stereos, you name it for over a decade and this is one thing that i have never caved on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Very interested. The sooner the better. I can't take my dog on any trips in the summer because it gets warm in the E when it is 110 out. I had remote start on another vehicle and I could go anywhere for a few minutes as he enjoyed the A/C.

How many people do we need? Any idea what product we will be going with?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Find one to work on my MT and you've got yourself a deal.

I had a Compustar installed on my EM1 and it had a switch on the e-brake and gear shifter to prove to the system that it was out of gear before it would let the starter try to start.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Also interested

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
anything that does remote start "can" be set up that way but this system is designed for automatic transmission vehicles only. This is one thing that i will not answer on this or any other forum as far as how it is done. way too much liability for life and property there. i have been doing alarms, stereos, you name it for over a decade and this is one thing that i have never caved on.
I agree with you on this one....I have done it once in 15 years of being an installer. I knew this guy and he bugged me for months to do it (this was before they had MT modules, etc..) It always made me nervous, but he said he never left the car in gear when parked. One day I was doing some work on another car of his that somebody else bypassed the clutch switch to install remote start. I parked it in front of my second bay door, in gear. He came to pic up the car (this is the middle of summer mind you) and hit the remote start button???????? Luckily, I heard the tone from the two-way...screamed NOOOOO, SHUT IT DOWN!! and ran towards the car and while the car was trying to crank, I was in front of it with my foot braced against the front of my garage and my arms kinda under the bumper because MY CAR was on the other side of that garage door. I somehow managed to stopped it from moving and it finally shut down. The car was locked or I would have just hit the brake. It was a crisis avoided. Later, the car that I did it on was totalled in an accident and he asked me about removing the remote start to install it in the car that was going to replace it and I said NO....I WILL NOT DO IT AGAIN. I don't even like the idea of the systems that are intended for MT vehicles....you have to jump through too many hoops and make sure you meet too many conditions for it to really be a convenience :rolleyes: I have three vehicle that are MT and I won't even install them on my own cars. People can try and justify it to me until they are blue in the face and I still don't see the benefit and I will not do it again. Sorry to threadjack Yoda.

Hey Zack, is this remote start compatible with a full DEI alarm sytem, should I decide to go that direction? I was just wondering what model you were talking about.
It should at least have a negative trigger input that you could hook an AUX channel from the security system to activate it......BUT, you have to worry about shunting the shock sensor, dealing with the ignition input trigger, etc... Since he is looking to have his system as a "plug-n-play" it probably would be easier to just buy a full alarm/rs system and install that. Just my .02, but I don't know the specifics of the unit he's planning on using.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I don't even like the idea of the systems that are intended for MT vehicles....you have to jump through too many hoops and make sure you meet too many conditions for it to really be a convenience :rolleyes:
What do you mean?
While the car's running, take it out of gear, pull the e-brake, shut car off, get out, lock. Unless you go back and open any door this will stay ready to go. Now if you open any one of the doors you'll have to go back through the shut down sequence, but no biggie.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What do you mean?
While the car's running, take it out of gear, pull the e-brake, shut car off, get out, lock. Unless you go back and open any door this will stay ready to go. Now if you open any one of the doors you'll have to go back through the shut down sequence, but no biggie.

That is EXACTLY what I mean, do you know how many times I have armed my alarm and realized I forgot my wallet or my glasses or some papers? I promise you....that bs would get old real fast. Hey it's just my opinion and it's still not 100% failproof. I can think of one scenario allbeit it pretty unlikely, it could happen and somebody could still get hurt/killed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What's a "full DEI alarm system"? I installed the Honda alarm system on my E. Love it. Never given me a problem. Would this remote start work with that system? If so, count me in!

·
Registered
523 Posts
What's a "full DEI alarm system"? I installed the Honda alarm system on my E. Love it. Never given me a problem. Would this remote start work with that system? If so, count me in!
DEI is the brand. They make Viper, Python and a ton of other brands. a full system would be an alarm and a remote start instead of just the remote start that the OP is talking about.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts