Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It gets mighty cold here in South Bend, IN and I was really interested in installing a remote start thingy. Has anyone done so already? Does it work well?

Also, should I install the factory keyless entry and security alarm system or an aftermarket one (much cheaper). Any advice would be appreciated. Usually, an aftermarket remote starter, keyless entry and security alarm combo should cost less than 100 bucks if ordered over the net.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking forward to hearing from you! Btw, how much did it cost? And from where? Thx in advance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Went to the installer's location, they were closed!! I specifically asked if they were doing to be open on saturday and the guy said yes.

Oh well, will try next weekend. The alarm is 215 without installation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, did u get it installed yet? Where did u buy it from? Any particular issues? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can some of you tech savvy people tell me if remote start for the E is ok? I know you have to strap a valet key to the steering column...but I also dont want to lose the immobilizer so do I alarm it too? I guess I want a remote starter/alarm/keyless entry..do they make such a beast? TIA

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The chip from the valet key is put into the remote start unit. You don't lose the immobilizer. The computer read the chip and starts the car. You still need a key to drive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
but wont the chip always be read so you can start any ol' way? yes ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
but wont the chip always be read so you can start any ol' way? yes ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The chip is activated and disables the immobilizer only when remote start is requested. At all other times the immobilizer is active. The alarm will still be on, if you have one, when remote start is activated. The ignition will also still be cut-off, if cut-off circuit installed (also provides protection from griding the starter). By the way the chip is the 555U.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Inmyelement:

I installed the Marksman M12 which has the remote start/alarm/remote entry/power window and host of other auxillary programmable functions. Right now I have the alarm portion installed and partly installed remote start/keyless entry, too cold in NYC to send too much time outside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll look into it marksman m12. Sounds like just what I want. I hear ya on the weather...I thought spring was here? Its fridged again!

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:7095834869="Inmyelement"]I'll look into it marksman m12. Sounds like just what I want. I hear ya on the weather...I thought spring was here? Its fridged again![/quote:7095834869]

This weather is starting to get to me too. Snow and cold is fine with me as long as I can ski or snowboard but when we're getting nickle and dimed to death with snow and cold I just start to think about better places to live.:D

In case you haven't heard there's more snow on the way too.:cry:

->eMass

·
Registered
166 Posts
I installed the Python Responder last week. It's a combo alarm/remote starter. The thing is cool. The remote has a backlit LCD screen and also serves as a two-way pager. Tells you when someone is messing with the E. I paid 450.00 for it.. the Going rate in New England is 600-800.
http://www.alarms.com/security/python/pyth_responder.asp[/img]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Upon checking the link you posted, they sure make alot of various systems.
The GPS system seems amazing even though the cost would kill me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The key/chip loss for implant purposes is a thing of the past.
I have checked with two of the most professional local shops and they both have a security bypass feature (extra cost!!) that reads the chips and stores the info. Must bring two keys with me to the install.

One shop sells the Astro Start 1105 and the other sells the Valet 562T. Both are basic start/lock/unlock/panic fobs. You can spend more and get lighted confirmation.

Locally, it will cost about $360 for the whole package, installed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i have a Compustar unit with a 555u key bypass for the immobilizer. range is out of control.... 1/2 mile or better if it's line of sight. had it in for going on 8 months and it works flawlessly. i used a coupon from an old viper or rattler alarm for the wiring tips and if you were crafty you could install it in 2 or 3 hours chilling out. you will need 2 diodes for the parking lights to avoid issues, other than that they list where the connector is, the color, pin number and wire color to either connect to or splice into. you can not arm the alarm, you can only lock and unlock the car with an aftermarket remote. the factory alarm/fobs will still work so i keep one in that little coin tray by the cruise button if i go somewhere i want to arm and leave the key/remotestart fob in the tray and arm the alarm with the factory remote.

·
Registered
4 Posts
key chip/remote starter

the chip in the key is only read when the module that contains the key recieves a power and a ground when running signal. remote starters ( at least the better ones have a lead that goes negative only when the remote starter is in use.) I install alot of these here in michigan and I also perfer the Ultra start 1270. It is a nice clean install.Please take this in consideration, when using a transponder bypass ( key in a box) to cut the head of the key off or grind down the key shank. you want to do this to keep a thief from getting to the box and having a key to use in stealing your car. I perfer not to use this method for my installs. I use the kits from www.bypasskits.com. these kits use a data signal to communicate to the car and its modules. Most install shops will try to use other methods in order to cut cost to them but this ends up costing the customer $50- 100 for extra keys. the bypass modules generally cost $50-75 but in my opinion and over 20 yrs worth is to use the data modules. Bypass kits or( Omega, audiovox, code alarm and many others that are actually built by trilogix which is bypass kit.com's company) have a kit called the xk02 that will interface with the factory doorlocks and security and the xk05 for the transponder. yes they are a little expensive but they work much better than other ways. One problem that the key in the box can have is shifting of the key caused by rough roads. I know, some will say just tape the key down but trust experiance here. At any rate good luck and please try not to cut corners. save your money till you can do it right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts