Honda Element Owners Club banner

Remote Starter on an Element

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  xplicitnoize 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a remote starter? I live in cold Minnesota and would like to have one installed prior to next winter. If you have one I would like to know how easy/hard it was to install and what is the going price. I've never had a remote starter before but have always been envious of my friends that do.

#2 ·
Hi....i'm nick from Montreal, Canada.
I know about winter, cold and remote starters.....believe me.
I don't know yet about how hard it is to install on the E but i will know soon cuz i'm taking delivery of my E next week.
I will install a remote starter A.S.A.P. ( that's what i do in life)
Ill' get back to you on this.
To bad we are far away from each other....i charge arround 300 $ canadians dollars to do a remote starter on a 2003 honda.
The thing that makes it expensive is the anti-theft key system.

Later

#3 ·
There have been a few more posts around the board about Remote starters, There is something that has to be bypassed if i am not mistaken, I read a few of them, and when i saw how difficult it was i decided that running out and cranking the heat up for a bit wasn't too bad.....even being from Minnesota myself, i do have to admit i was thinking of getting one of those portable car heaters and attaching it to the back seats to warm it up faster :wink:

#4 ·
I had my remote starter installed a couple of months ago, but I really haven't had to use it yet, since the weather has warmed up, but I'm sure I will be lovin it in the winter. I had them take it off my Mercedes I sold and put on the E.

#5 ·
I've just done my remote starter.
It's an easy job for me but any installer should be able to do so without much problems.
So you guys should expect to pay the same price as any new honda to have a remote starter done.
If you guys ever come to Montreal and want a remote starter...let me know 300 $ CDN.

See ya'll

#6 ·
xplicitnoize, I plan on installing one of these. I looked at the install book and it looks pretty straight forward if you are comfortable soldering. My question is how do you locate certain wires like the tach?. There are a few wires in the install book I wouldn't know the first place to look for them.

#7 ·
Hi !!!!
Here is what i have on the Honda Element 2003 .
Hope it help you.
About the tack wire there's a paragraph at the bottom of this message that describe the signal.
I have found this same wire inside the E, right of the stering column in the connection box....a blue wire with silver dots in the upper right of the box.
The best thing to test wire is a probe light wich gives you the polarity of the signal and it's computer safe....you can found it at a Snap on retailer.

If you have other questions, just ask!!!

See ya

Remote start / Security / GPS
Wire/Function Colour Location/Description Polarity

PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT YES TRANSPONDER SEE NOTES
12 VOLTS White In harness from Ignition switch +
IGNITION Black/yellow In harness from Ignition switch +
ACCESSORY Black/red In harness from Ignition switch +
STARTER Black/white In harness from Ignition switch +
TACH Blue/silver dots At 1-pin plug next to battery AC
LOCK White/blue In gray connector above driver's kick -
UNLOCK White/green In gray connector above drivers kick -
DOORPIN SEE NOTES*
TRUNK PIN SEE NOTES**
TRUNK RELEASE Black/yellow*** In driver's kickpanel -
BRAKESWITCH White/black At switch above brake pedal +
PARKLIGHTS Red/black In white connector above drivers kick +
HAND BRAKE Green/orange At switch in center console -
HORN Orange/silver dots At factory alarm connector**** -

Vehicle notes
PLEASE NOTE: This vehicle is equipped with an TRANSPONDER passive anti-theft system. Please refer to the appropriate diagram before any remote start installation.
* GREEN is the driver's door, LT.GREEN/RED is the passenger door, GREEN/WHITE is the rear doors. All 3 wires are found on the GREEN factory alarm connector on the left side of the steering column. See the exploded view.
** This wire is RED and is located on the GREEN factory alarm connector on the left side of the steering column.
*** This wire only triggers when the hatch is closed. Close it each time you test it.
**** Located on the GREEN factory alarm connector on the left side of the steering column.

TACH
The TACH WIRE is generally the negative side of the vehicle’s coil(s) or Distributor. This is required for a Remote Start installation when the manufacturer’s unit specifies a connection to the vehicle’s tach wire. It is an AC signal and generally ranges between 2-13 volts during run. The higher the engine speed, the higher the voltage will read. Any short to ground or 12-Volts on this wire will generally cause the vehicle to stop running or, may also cause the vehicle to exert erratic behavior such as " bucking" and intermittent stalling during normal operation.

Blue/silver dots At 1-pin plug next to battery AC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.