Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have scoured the archives and the interwebs for the answers I need, but the best I've found is a reference to the "retainer clips" in question.

Short Story:

Rear cargo light switch (the slidey job) actually popped up and into the space inside/behind the actual light fixture.

The light works (well, worked) fine.

I removed the bulb to get access to try and fish out the slider, but there's not enough room to reach in there. So I decided to try and remove the entire housing/case so I could get better access.

Note: Don't do like I did and try to fish it out with a paper clip. (Apparently, when the switch came apart, it was in the "on" position.)
Sparks will fly. I probably shorted it out and will need to replace the bulb and/or fuse. (See above.) No shock to me, though. Must have been the rubber soles. :)

I unscrewed the screws and attempted to put pressure on the two tabs/"retainer clips" to "pop" out the housing---you know, like they easily do on YouTube.

Hahah! Well, the video SAYS "Acura or Honda" and the fixture appears to be exactly the same, but don't be fooled. There feels like a lot more connecting my Element's cargo light housing to the ceiling than there is in that video. Either that or I'm a dolt. Or both.

My question is this: I see two little tabs on either side of the housing once the Lens/light cover is off. I'm not sure which way to push/apply pressure to these to get it to come out.
I have used my fingernails to sort of pull it loose, and it almost comes away, but it's dragging down on the whole ceiling panel and that doesn't seem right, does it?

So before I break it and end up having to pay a dealer to replace the entire casing mechanism that I broke because I was trying to avoid paying the dealer to fix the little switch issue, is there a trick to removing this thing?

I will try and attach a photo, but if I can't, hopefully someone more knowledgable will know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trying for a photo here:

Here is an image of the "offending" mechanism. (As you can see, I have removed the lens cover that one takes off to change the lightbulb.)

It's the little tabs on either side that don't actually seem to move that are troubling me. I need to get the whole casing to pop out, but it won't budge and there is a lot connecting it to the ceiling behind it. Or at least that's how it feels when I pull on it.

There is no longer a slider bar/button on the on/off switch. That's why I needed the repair in the first place. It slid off and went up inside the casing somewhere and I can't get it out.

Apologies in advance if the photo doesn't magically appear here!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Tried to look it up in my manual and all it shows is to remove the entire trim piece that the light is in. Pop each end out of the side trim pieces, remove the screw in the light fixture, and then slowly pull the whole thing down off of 4 clips on the back. I wouldn't think that's really necessary just to remove the light.

I -think- that the little flexible ears, one in the middle of each end shown in your photo, just need to be released with a small, flat screwdriver blade to get the fixture itself out, then unplug the wire from the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Desinia!

Sorry but "I've been away from my desk" ;)

Thanks for posting the diagram.

I am still having some trouble figuring out which way to push those little "ears" so I don't break them off. They are stiff and don't really move at all.

I am leaning towards having the Honda guys fix it at my next service appointment because I'm afraid of breaking the darn thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I'm missing the same switch myself, so any secrets to share would be appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts