Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to RR the rear right bearing. I've not worked on a 4WD before, so I'm a little cautious.

on page 18-27 of the helm manual (bishko cd reprint) step 7, line 2: "Remove the rear axle shaft (C) from vehicles with 4WD. WHAT is being said here? Can someone explain/show the procedure, as I am assuming at this point the universal joint is still intact and shrouded, and the hub/bearing is still attached to the knuckle, which is still bolted tot he suspension.

I've got the brakes and rotor off, all the fasterners have been doped for two days with PB Blaster and a mix of denatured alcohol and brake fluid. And I have two sets of pullers from Advance AutoParts rental counter to assist.

So, can someone please clear up this jump-cut/discontinuity I've stumbled onto? Thanks in advance for your kind consideration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am actually working on the same problem right now, i.e. replacing the passenger-side rear bearing assembly. I have the new 'bearing hub'. My goal is to remove this hub, which will have the rotor still attached because it's a press fit. I'll then take it to my shop for the press removal and press fit of the new bearing hub.

The part I'm having trouble with is the last step of removing the 'bearing hub' from the knuckle. They seem to be rusted together because I've got all bolts loosened, but it won't budge. Currently have the assembly soaking in WD-40, hoping things will loosen up by tomorrow.

If you scan and PM me (for me email) the few pages that correspond with this repair, it will probably help me further so I can help you (maybe you don't need help anymore). My understanding is that you should not have to remove the rear axle shaft itself. You'll remove the hub/rotor assembly from this shaft, but not the shaft itself. Unless I'm missing something?

Hopefully we can help each other on this.
Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts