Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the windshield washer pump in my 03 E. Have read all the prior posts and this seems like a fairly simple thing. My question is exactly how to remove the bumper/grill assembly. I looked this morning and see the clips on top, but cannot believe that simply removing those little plastic pins will allow me to pull off the entire assembly. I am trying to decide if I should attempt this myself of simply buy the part and let a local mechanic put it in.
You suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Fog light installation instructions (thanks to site sponsor H and A) contain excellent instructions for bumper removal. Yes, 90% is removing those little clips. Be prepared to replace some. There are also couple of bolts, possibly rusted on your '03.

P.S. Please fill in your profile.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ya, it sounded ridiculous to me too first time I tried it but the whole front end is one big assembled piece of plastic and it's held on with a bunch of plastic pegs. When it was time to do the gutter guard modification to protect my AC core, (DO THIS RIGHT AWAY!) I was able to take the entire front off of my new E using two sockets (NOT sockets and handles, just the sockets held in my fingers) to remove the screws underneath and under the front wheel cutouts and the end of my pocket knife to lift up the buttons on the plastic pegs.

Watch out for the wheel wells when you take it off. It has two small plastic ears for those two screws to fasten to and they catch when you pull it off. I didn't see that and pulled the small white plastic inserts out behind them. I didn';t even notice till reassembly and the screws had nothing to screw back in to. Found both inserts, poked them back in the metal, and all was fine. One peg was dropped inside the engine well and I couldn't find it - which was OK since after I was finished, I couldn't find a hole still missing a peg.

BTW, Honda charges an obscene price for those pegs and you can get serviceable replacements at most car parts stores for a tenth of the cost. I finally found good ones at a big discount hardware store in the "bolts and fasteners" section.

If you haven't done it yet, consider the "gutter guard" modification while you have the front end off. It's cheap insurance for an expensive repair.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
One of my suppliers makes these clips...But i have never bothered to order them..

I just found a pack of 25 on Amazon for $12.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NHY5ME...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000NHY5ME

One small tip. Doing a google search using the Honda Part# was how i found them. (91503-SZ3-003).
You can find em on Ebay the same way. I got mine at a hardware store called Menards which is like Home Depot. South Bend/Mishawaka has three big hardware chain stores - Menards, Lowes, & Home Depot - less than a mile apart. The fasteners at Menards aren't the exact same design but they seem servicable and a little more solid. Biggest difference is that the heads are a little bigger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.