Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While removing my stereo (different headache altogether), I managed to scratch the decorative metallic bezel surrounding the stereo and the heating controls. I first tried some plastic polish -- thinking the color went into the plastic with no luck. It seems the plastic is painted and this paint is very thin. Be careful as it seems even a fingernail will scratch it. Nonetheless, I sanded out the scratches carefully with a very fine automotive grit and then masked off the area. I found a paint color that matches very close -- although maybe a bit too shiny. I painted it -- and it's now as good as new. The paint color, BTW, is Dupli-color Gunmetal (DSGM344). I'm not sure if Honda has touch-up paint for the interior yet -- but this is a darn good match. You wouldn't know it without being told. If I were going to remove the whole assembly and paint it again I would be sure to put a matte clear-coat over it (why didn't Honda do this!?) so that scratches could then be covered up more easily.

Another thought -- this opens up additional possibilities for customizing. Wouldn't it be cool to paint these metallic pieces a brilliant blue metallic (or orange, or green) to match the color of your E?! Just a thought...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts