Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a good Honda Mechanic in this area? The dealer sucks, they are nothing but rip-off artist, and I need someone competent to diagnose my starting problem. I have been reading the posts, but it could either be starter, wiring, or ignition switch. Anyone have any luck in my area?:?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Can anyone suggest a good Honda Mechanic in this area? The dealer sucks, they are nothing but rip-off artist, and I need someone competent to diagnose my starting problem. I have been reading the posts, but it could either be starter, wiring, or ignition switch. Anyone have any luck in my area?:?
If you could please fill in the balance of your information like your model, year, transmission, 2 or 4 wheel drive, etc. Someone may be able to help you diagnose your starting issue. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and we could maybe help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 03 ex AWD AT, 156K miles. All stock, no mods. I have a problem somewhere in the starting system. It is slow to crank. Sometimes when you turn the key, nothing happens, sometimes, it cranks very slow, and then other times it cranks and starts, but it seems too slow. I have had my battery load tested, and it checks out fine, my alternator is working fine. IT was checked out by a local electrical shop. I have tried to start it in neutral, and it is the same as in park. The battery was replaced in december 09 with a Interstate, their top of the line. I also put a new OEM ground cable in. The original was corroded down by the transmission where it bolts on, and it was also frayed. I installed a new bolt, cleaned it down well with sandpaper, That seemed a little better for a while, but it is not right. This weekend when I put new brake pads on, I want to check the connections on the starter to make sure they are not corroded. The battery terminals are clean. I am thinking it is either the ignition switch or the starter. I put on about 100 miles a day, and I am starting the car 8-12 times a day. I do not start the car with any accessories on. There are no warning lights on the dashboard or anything like that. I do not have the ability to check electrical components like this. I can do basic mechanics. Suggestions????

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try Franks Auto Service in Coopersburg/ Center valley 610-282-9016 .

They have found and fixed things on my '04 E that the dealer either couldn't find or just wanted to start throwing parts at..Honest guys,:) family run

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It sounds like your starter is dragging like it has bad bushings. If you have a volt meter hook it to the battery terminals and check the voltage while cranking and it should be over 10 volts. Lower then that will cause a slow crank. Then check the voltage at the starter while cranking. If its lower you have a high resistive connection somewhere and will need to be repaired. If its the same it will be ether the starter is failing or your battery witch you stated that its good. Have you tried to throw jumper cables on and see if it cranks any faster?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. I do not have a volt meter. I did put the charger on the battery overnight last week, and it was the same.:? But guess what, this morning, went out to start it, nothing. The only thing that happens is when you turn the key, you hear a "click".. I think it is the starter. What does it sound like to you? If it is, I will remove it and have it rebuilt. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm thinkin' bad battery. Yeah, I know its only a year old....but lately it seems like everyone is gettind a "bad one." (overseas quality contol?)

It it prolly worth the bit of time it takes to have it professionally tested.

FWIW....it you try and "jump it" and it starts it is probablly a battery issue, but it could still be the starter.

Good luck.

Will

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely not the battery, had it load tested at a local electric shop and it was fine, it was doing what it should. I got the old starter out on Monday, and took it apart, and a whole bunch of carbon came out, about 2-3 tablespoons worth, and it looks like there are a couple of scorch marks on the armature. I ordered a new OEM starter, should be here end of week.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
... I got the old starter out on Monday, and took it apart, and a whole bunch of carbon came out, about 2-3 tablespoons worth, and it looks like there are a couple of scorch marks on the armature. I ordered a new OEM starter, should be here end of week.
ok..glad that went well (and looks to be the problem)....i'm surprised that a new starter wasn't in stock/on the shelf...or at least more readily available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get all my OEM parts from Majestic Honda in Rhode Island. Their prices and service cannot be beat. Starter will be here friday. Will be in by Saturday AM. They are priced between $100 and $125 cheaper for the starter than the dealers, depending on which one you call. you can check prices on honda parts at your local dealer. I think it is ehonda.com or something like that. you can type in new honda parts in your google search and you will find it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I get all my OEM parts from Majestic Honda in Rhode Island.
OK...gottca now....I didn't realize you weren't trying to get it locally. That makes sense since you don't like the local dealers anyway. I've got no real experience with any of them. I've gotten some maintenance stuff from H&A and some from Clinton Honda. (close to work)

If i didn't need the part right away & there was a decence price difference i'd prolly do the same as you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts