Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday I had my oil changed. Later that afternoon I am driving down the interstate and I get a CEL. Pulled the code and it was P0507 "Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected." I've been troubleshooting a separate problem regarding a "dragging" sensation when I lift my foot of the accelerator with no luck, so I decided to take it to the dealership Wednesday.

Dealer could find nothing to cause the P0507 code. The MAF, throttle body, and APP sensor are all brand new, and he couldn't find evidence of a vacuum leak or wiring issues.

Friday, I run into the store while my wife is in the car. Come back out and the CEL is back on again - P0507. I figure at this point it's got to be something like a leak at the TB or something.

So this morning I pull the throttle body (again which is new), replace it with a DIFFERENT new throttle body with a new gasket. I take my time and make sure I thoroughly inspect the IAC wiring, make sure to clean the mounting surfaces on the block and TB, checked the snorkel for cracks, etc. I DID find a possible leak behind the MAF where the snorkel meets the filter box from misfitting the snorkel and fixed it. I did an idle relearn and also made sure my fluids were topped off.

Put about 70 miles on the Element, went to eat dinner, and when we came out about 90 minutes later I started the car up and the CEL comes back on - P0507.

So I've had this code pop up three times in a week across two NEW TBs (the MAF and APP sensor are also new), after an idle relearn, and after a master technician looked everything over. It happens both in the middle of driving as well as sometimes when I start it up semi-cold.

Any ideas what is causing this to pop up? Did the oil change place possibly impact something I am not thinking about?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Clearly I am late to the party here, but your is the first post Ive seen anywhere with the same symptoms as my element is having. Mainly, intermittent p0507 code, but mostly that dragging feeling when taking foot off the gas pedal. Just curious if you solved the problem and what it might have been. Also what year is your Element? Everyone keeps telling me its the idle air control valve, but '07 and later models dont have one, and I have an '07. Long shot, but hope you fixed it and hope it helps me! Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
06 element 185k

P0507, showed up after dealership tried to fix my cold stall issue (but wouldn't just give me a valve adjustment as I asked, until later). They replaced purge valve and one other valve, then did the valve adjustment. But, once I got it back, after the 2nd drive cycle, the P0507 code showed up. The car drives as smooth as possible once I erase the code but AS SOON as the code returns I notice a difference in driving. The difference is...when I lift my foot off the gas it seems to jerk into a slower movement instead of coasting naturally (like it does when I erase code). It does cold idle at around 1500rpm and lowers to about 900 at warm idle, which seems a little high but I read between 700 and 900 is normal. Is there an idle adjustment screw? I know the dealership really messed eith things trying to figure out cold stall issue prior to doing valve adjustment. Please help, im tired of going to them and getting nowhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
06 element 185k

P0507, showed up after dealership tried to fix my cold stall issue (but wouldn't just give me a valve adjustment as I asked, until later). They replaced purge valve and one other valve, then did the valve adjustment. But, once I got it back, after the 2nd drive cycle, the P0507 code showed up. The car drives as smooth as possible once I erase the code but AS SOON as the code returns I notice a difference in driving. The difference is...when I lift my foot off the gas it seems to jerk into a slower movement instead of coasting naturally (like it does when I erase code). It does cold idle at around 1500rpm and lowers to about 900 at warm idle, which seems a little high but I read between 700 and 900 is normal. Is there an idle adjustment screw? I know the dealership really messed eith things trying to figure out cold stall issue prior to doing valve adjustment. Please help, im tired of going to them and getting nowhere.
Have you had any luck figuring it out? I still have a similar sensation when taking foot off the gas. Thinking maybe dealer has to reset idle as I've tried with no luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts