Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replaced O2 Sensor and still get Check Engine Light On.

Hi Guys,
2 different shops did reads on my check engine light codes, I even paid $100 for one of them to do a full test of all sensors to identify which one was bad.
Their diagnose was code P0141, oxygen sensor heater, o2 sensor had to be replaced. They said was the front one.

I bought an original Honda o2 front sensor, and I replaced it myself yesterday.
Very simple, unscrew the sensor, unplug the electrical conection, screw new sensor in and plug connection.
So I thought.

I unplugged the battery to reset the CEL light and it worked.

But once I drove off this morning, the light was back on. WTF?

I checked and the new sensor is well screwed and connected.

Could the shops have given me a bad diagnosis? Maybe the problem is the other sensor? Maybe it's the electrical part that connects to the o2 sensor?

They said was the front one. But now as I this thing didn't work and I am doing more research I think they told me the wrong one. I think I should have replaced the rear one.

See some pictures attached I took this morning. Did I replace the right one? The one before the catalytic converter, that's gotta to be the front sensor. The rear o2 sensor would be the one connected to the second 1/3 of the catalytic converter.

Opinions? Suggestions?

I really appreciate.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
did they clear the code. if not you might have to drive alittle(50 miles)for the computer to check its parameters.pull the neg battery cable for 1hr and then put it back see if the code clears

·
Registered
599 Posts
On more than one occasion I've repaired vehicles with HO2S issues by finding an open wire that was either chewed or worn through. My recommendation is first, unplug the O2 sensor and check if all the pins look normal then trace the harness back as far as you can go and check for any signs of wear or damage. Also, double check that the O2 sensor you installed was actually for the 1st sensor and not the 2nd. Sometimes the O2 sensors are differenent and its possible the parts guy grabbed the wrong one. Good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as clearing the code, yes I unplugged battery and it cleared. Then went back this morning.

The sensor was the front one, they make so the connector has the same color both male and female connectors are grey. The connectors for the rear one are blue.

The more I research, I am thinking i was supposed to replace the rear one. Seems like the code p0141 is for the sensor that goes into the catalytic converter, not the front one (before converter).

They said was the front one and that stuck to my head. But now seeing the code p0141, and looking other threads, I think I have to order the rear one.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Every thread that I know of shows P1041 as the one in the cat, the #2 sensor.

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
Sorry to see that you spent money on the wrong sensor. This is a perfect example of how having a factory service manual on can and will save you money over time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,
its not a big deal. Now I know how easy is to make the replacement.
I am placing an order now for the rear one, will replace it, put the old front o2 sensor back, then sell the extra sensor here or on ebay.

BTW, still cheaper than paying $300 to the shop to do it for me. It's an unscrew/unplug/screw/plug job. Don't even need to lift the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed!

Just replaced the rear O2 sensor and put my old front O2 sensor.

I now have an as-new front O2 sensor for sale. Will post on the other forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I’m very new here. Hopefully I’m posting in a proper thread.

A little history of my Element:

2005 Element Ex

This car was in very bad shape when I bought it, the suspension (bearings,rockers,struts) all shot.

There was also this strange electrical issue that still comes on and on. the car will start but the ignition doesn’t turn. I found on a different forum that I can get it to turn by putting the windshield wipers down two notches 🤔. This far was most likely stolen at some point.

The car also bogged down at the dreaded 3000 rpms but I fixed The majority of the mechanical issues (was the vtec solenoid among other timing issues)

Anyway, my latest and most severe problem is the P1041 code referring to the rear 02 sensor. So before this code appeared, my catalytic converter was stolen a week before I needed to smog here in CA... pricks...

So the thieves obviously just snipped the sensors.. I had the catalytic replaced with most likely an aftermarket converter, but I was advised that the codes should only apply to the rear sensor. Since then I have replaced the sensor with a whopping $230 OEM sensor. Still a check engine light. Honda just basically told me I need a whole new ECU.. (there was no check engine light on my dash before the theft of my OEM cat)

Sorry for the long introduction, but I’d love to keep on to my element, and I can’t seem to find the information to revive it. I reset the codes and the light comes right back on.

There’s also a black and yellow chord 4 prong connector that seems to just dangle underneath the drivers side wheel. I’m a super noob but I’ve done a ton of work mechanically. This electrical situation is killing me.

Thanks in advance to everyone on the site and the people running it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts