Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a brief search prior to posting this and could not find an answer.
I'd like to purchase the leather steering wheel from HandA, but I'm not comfortable installing it so I called my local dealer to get an estimate.
I was quoted an hour to install it (I can live with that), but was also informed that due to the way the splines line up I may need a front end alignment to get the steering wheel straight. The total quote was $165! Does this sound legit? Please let me know if you have had any experience with this. Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

ultraill

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
negative. you shouldnt need an alignment. i did mine myself and it took under 15 minutes including the 5 minutes of waiting after the battery was unplugged before messing with the airbag connector.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Agreed, no alignment is necessary. I havent pulled off a Honda steering wheel yet but most of the times there is a little notch on the shaft that you simply have to match with the notch on the steering wheel indicating center. If you do it your self, just make sure the battery has been disconnected for a few minutes to minimize any risk of an accidental air bag incident. Also dont move the clockspring around either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help and input. Although I won't try the install myself, I'll sure give the dealer the tips relayed below.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The service advisor knows what really needs to be done, he/she was probably just trying to upsell an alignment.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just installed the leather steering wheel on my 09 sc..It is super easy! Do not pay anyone to install it, you can do this yourself in 30 minutes max. The instructions from Handa are super easy and step by step. The steering column and steering wheel have tiny notches that line up, it is fool proof

·
Registered
18 Posts
The factory wheel includes directions to the mechanic that a wheel alignment is included in the price. Did the install myself and the wheel is just a couple of degrees off. My wife doesn't notice it, but I'm an engineer and like things to be right.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
If a steering wheel had no spokes for visual reference, there would be no such thing as "centering"; it's cosmetic. :) Lack of centering isn't the same as the vehicle being out of alignment; they are independent.

Unless there are noticable problems with the vehicle's handling (shaking or pulling hard to one side) or tire wear, you can put off re-alignment until a later date.

Watch the road, not your hands, and unless the steering wheel is more than a few degrees off, if shouldn't affect your driving. :hol029:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts