Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had problems with my 04 element. It started with sluggish starts. it the rapidly turned into accessories spazzing out and lights dimming. Eventually it just wouldn't start without a jump.
Did my research and it seemed like my alternator was bad. Jumped it and got it to oreillys. Tested both my battery and alternator. Both bad. Battery had bad cell. Alternator was bad diodes and regulator.
1/4 day off later i leave oreillys with a new battery and alternator installed.
Fast forward to almost exactly 1 month later and same issues are happening. Tested at oreillys again battery bad cells (warranty covered it) and tested alternator bad regulator (Will cover it). I didn't have time to change out the alternator.
I now realize that was a mistake and should have spent time to fix both. Dead battery a day later

Now to my question. What would cause both my battery and alternator to die so quickly? Is it more likely I just got a bad alternator or some some relay is just stuck closed and causing feedback?

Please and thank you for any help

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dead battery a day later. How much driving did you do that day? Headlights on during any of it? Is there a parasitic drain on the battery when the car is off? Was the new alternator actually charging the battery? I would not automatically trust an O'Rilery alternator (speaking from experience).

Possibly two problems. A drain of some sort which is killing the battery, and a short that is killing the alternator. Of course the short can be your battery drain as well. I'd start with the drain, but sounds like to get there you first need to at least put in a new alternator, or hook the car up to an external power supply. Hopefully your newly replaced battery can still take a charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much driving. Averaging about 3 miles per trip Driving to pick up son from school and drop off at home. Then back to work. Then home. Then pickup wife from work (lights were on for this). Then next day sluggish starts again.. drive to work. Back home to pick up and drop off wife to work didn't shut off E. End of day back home started once or twice just to gauge how low I was. Later last night go to pickup wife and won't start.
As for parasitic draw I assume it does. Not sure where. I did check most everything in the fusebox and nothing was stuck closed. I do have an appointment scheduled at a nearby mechanic. As for whether the alternator was charging before, I'm gonna say I believe so since it lasted a month before additional issues but I also didn't bench test it before I installed it.

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
487 Posts
So, have you not installed the warranty replacement alternator yet? A quick check of whether it is charging or not is to measure the voltage across the battery when the engine is running (assuming you can jump it to get it running). If it was really dead, either put it on a charger for a while or let it run for a while with the battery jumped before attempting to start it. If the alternator isn't charging, it won't run long on the charge it gets from just a short jump.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
With the battery disconnected, check the resistances of every battery cable from the battery connectors to the other ends, specially the ground cable to the body on the left side of the engine compartment.

Note: Do NOT jump or charge the installed battery by connecting to the negative battery post, use that left side connection.

·
Registered
478 Posts
When your starter is going bad it disrupts the flow of electricity thru your system. It might be going bad.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,696 Posts
With the battery disconnected, check the resistances of every battery cable from the battery connectors to the other ends, specially the ground cable to the body on the left side of the engine compartment.
/QUOTE]

Actually, testing battery cables with a ohm meter is not a good way. Voltage drop test while circuit is loaded is the best way to determine cable integrity. Another plus for the drop test is you are not disturbing the possible bad connections by disconnecting/reconnecting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep in mind the ELD, which makes it appear the alternator is not outputting enough voltage. I almost got caught that way. Makes it harder to test and troubleshoot

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had similar problems using an aftermarket alternator. I had the aftermarket alternator tested and it was supposed to be fine but because of persisting issues I finally bought a new OEM alternator and those problems went away. As others have suggested, I would also check your battery cables. If I am not mistaken, I think a bad alternator can kill a battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. Check your ground cable at the top of the transmission AND the left fender.
2. When checking to see if it's charging be sure to turn everything on...high beams, wipers, AC, fan...etc. sometimes it will show 13.5 to 14 volts with nothing on but will not charge with everything on.
3. Any aftermarket lights/radio? Check the connections.
If it is going to sit overnight or a few days try disconnecting the positive terminal and reconnecting it when you are ready to drive it- see if it still does the sluggish start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is very unlikely the problem & a long shot, but check the under dash fuse #4. When I unknowingly blew that fuse my alternator wasn't charging, but it also threw a few random & seemingly unrelated CEL codes.

Have there been any other recent issues or other work done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently had problems with my 04 element. It started with sluggish starts. it the rapidly turned into accessories spazzing out and lights dimming. Eventually it just wouldn't start without a jump.
Did my research and it seemed like my alternator was bad. Jumped it and got it to oreillys. Tested both my battery and alternator. Both bad. Battery had bad cell. Alternator was bad diodes and regulator.
1/4 day off later i leave oreillys with a new battery and alternator installed.
Fast forward to almost exactly 1 month later and same issues are happening. Tested at oreillys again battery bad cells (warranty covered it) and tested alternator bad regulator (Will cover it). I didn't have time to change out the alternator.
I now realize that was a mistake and should have spent time to fix both. Dead battery a day later

Now to my question. What would cause both my battery and alternator to die so quickly? Is it more likely I just got a bad alternator or some some relay is just stuck closed and causing feedback?

Please and thank you for any help
I had the same issues it ended up being the starter on my 05 EX unfortunately it was a 600.00 fix but if resolved the issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts