Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got 392,000 on my E and I wanted to do a suspension replacement so I replaced
1. Struts “All four”
2.ball joints and tie rods upper and lower
3.All four control arms
4. Front and rear sway bar bushings
5. Sway bar links front and back
6. Cv-Axles And driveline
7. New tires and rear diff bushings
Am I forgetting something as my suspension still sounds like crap?

·
Registered
116 Posts
By crap, do you mean squeaks or clunking sounds? I replaced the same list of things and a squeak from the rear drivers side was solved by spraying it down with silicone spray then a week later with white lithium. Haven't heard squeak since then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the struts are new and you hear clunking noise you should double check that the bolts are tighten down enough and not shifting when you hit a bump. For the squeaks I would start with spraying some silicone spray on the suspected joints. If the squeaks go away then return I'd get some white lithium. GL

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry to be a Debbi Downer but having bought mine new in 2003 one of the first things I remember was noticing that the suspension was noisy on bumpy roads. I wondered how a new car could be so noisy but that is just how they were and are. On smooth roads it is silent even to this day. I have always felt bad for someone who is rebuilding the suspension hoping that they can silent it like a new car. 18 years later I still love my Element except for bumpy roads and highways.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine is pretty quiet at this stage. 2003. I did have clunks twice in the past. First time it was solved by rear strut replacement (the driver's side one leaked completely out), and the second time by driver's side trailing arm bushing replacement. Other parts were replaced as well - all struts, compliance bushings, sway bar links and bushings, but there were no noises associated with those.

What brand struts did you put in? I went with OEM because I did not want to chaise suspension noises coming from questionable parts, I make enough mistakes when I work and don't need an additional set of variables to deal with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is pretty quiet at this stage. 2003. I did have clunks twice in the past. First time it was solved by rear strut replacement (the driver's side one leaked completely out), and the second time by driver's side trailing arm bushing replacement. Other parts were replaced as well - all struts, compliance bushings, sway bar links and bushings, but there were no noises associated with those.

What brand struts did you put in? I went with OEM because I did not want to chaise suspension noises coming from questionable parts, I make enough mistakes when I work and don't need an additional set of variables to deal with.
I used quick struts Aftermarket struts should definitely have used OEM for sure.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The OEM Strut/shocks use 14mm bolts in the rear. If someone did the replacement and used some other size bolts/nuts you will likely have movement...and noise. Not sure if that is the case but possible.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
btw the biggest clunking is usually the rear sway bar bushings which are a really easy replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve got 392,000 on my E and I wanted to do a suspension replacement so I replaced
1. Struts “All four”
2.ball joints and tie rods upper and lower
3.All four control arms
4. Front and rear sway bar bushings
5. Sway bar links front and back
6. Cv-Axles And driveline
7. New tires and rear diff bushings
Am I forgetting something as my suspension still sounds like crap?
the front sway bar bushings helped a lot with mine still clunking after replacing everything, but as the other guy said, they never seem to be quiet when on anything other than a smooth street!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve been chasing my issues for years on my 2003. Just replaced the junk Monroe quicks struts with Gabriel’s which are made in CHINA! Not happy. Didn’t do my research. Should have went OEM years ago. Cv boots ripped now. Sway bar connecting links again Compliance bushings are long gone. Guess it beats a car payment Maybe Price we pay

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is your spare tire aired up and secure, with the tools secured? I had a very similar problem, and after I found the spare was loose, I felt kind of stupid! Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts