Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I currently have a 2005 element. I love this car, you just cant find a better functional vehical out there. My problem is I have a very bad back, and cant ride in the car for more than 20-30 min with out starting to have back pain. I have been trying to research for a replacement seat. Does anyone know if perhaps a high end pilot seat or any after market seats will fit? This is the closets thing I could fit but have no idea if it would work. http://www.discountvantruck.com/suvhighbackseats/suvInnovatorhighbackseats.htm

Thank you,

Kevivn

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
You also might want to check with Recaro, I'm sure you can contact them through their website to check if they have a vehicle specific bracket for the Element. If they do, you'll then need to check with your bank for a loan, cause they ain't cheap!!

What I did on a different vehicle was go through Recaro to get the bracket I needed, but I bought a used seat from a seller on eBay. I only replaced the driver's seat in my Westfalia and it looks okay. Not sure how it would look in the Element to have mismatched front seats. I got the used Recaro pretty cheap (about $250, if IIRC) because he only had one seat, not a pair, and most buyers want a pair. The bracket by itself was almost $200. Gotta think if they have bracket for a 25 year old VW, they likely have one for the Element.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I know not an Element, but I installed Scorpions in My Cr-v using the original seat brackets, I had to do a lot of cutting and welding, but it allowed them to sit at the same height, operate off the same sliders, and be more comfortable with all the extra lumbar support.

1/2 way through mounting:

Seat on stock bracket:

Final:

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everone for you replies, looks like I have a lot to look at, I have tried many inserts and lumbar rolls, pads and what not. thinking that changing the seat might be the best bet.
My problem is degenerative disc disease, so I have bad sciatic pain, numbnes and spasims, blown disc, and arthritis on 4 or my vertebrae joints. (needless to say lots of drugs) for now I am looking to just replace drivers side and if it works out would do passenger too, moneys tight these days but getting to the point I need to do something. was hoping it would be a bit easier than it is sounding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of doing something like that too. I have an old memory foam bed topper I was thinking of making a insert/cover. I will have to try and locate his thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's a link running around where someone posted putting a pair of RSX seats in their CRV (this manages to retain the side airbags if that's a concern for you) I've checked out some myself and could nab them for about $150 for the pair.

They certainly seemed better than the stock lawn chairs we have but not THAT much better. I've read someone's suggestion that they put memory foam on the seats and covered that with seat covers. I personally am going to try out this route first and see if it gives me the butt-joy I'm missing from our previous cars.

I've swapped seats in numerous cars to great result but never ones that I was compromising a safety system, and never when I really had anyone's life other than my own I was responsible for so I hesitate on the Box to do this without exhausting other options.

Just not a great highway car I spose.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
I put EP3 (2002-2005 civic si) seats in mine. I do not have the side airbags, though. I did a write up on how to install them, the write up is only for Elements that have the seatbelts attached to the rear door. If your's attach to the seat, then you will need the seatbelt assembly from an older Element, and the plastic trim on the door. I am quite certain that if you follow my write up, you could install RSX seats with the side airbags, you would just have to hook the airbags up to the element's wiring (probably plug and play). If the side airbags are not of concern, you could put EP3, S2000, or any 92-01 model civic, integra, or del sol seats in there. The key point, is to use the element seatpan base, with the new seats cushion, and the new seats back support. The most supportive seat that you could put in there is the s2000 seat in my opinion. We had those in my wife's del sol, and I have yet to sit in a better honda seat.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54609

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you everone for you replies, looks like I have a lot to look at, I have tried many inserts and lumbar rolls, pads and what not. thinking that changing the seat might be the best bet.
My problem is degenerative disc disease, so I have bad sciatic pain, numbnes and spasims, blown disc, and arthritis on 4 or my vertebrae joints. (needless to say lots of drugs) for now I am looking to just replace drivers side and if it works out would do passenger too, moneys tight these days but getting to the point I need to do something. was hoping it would be a bit easier than it is sounding.
---------------------------
i am sorry to hear about your ailments. i don't have degenerative disc disease, but i have many of your symptoms. i use a lumbar roll for car rides longer than 30 min. also, my day job is driving and i have to wear the support roll. i know you have tried these, though. have you consulted with a physical therapist about seat options. i am doubtful that anything other than an orthopaedic or custom seat will help. i think that car manufacturers are unlikely to make a special seat, since it's such a niche market.

·
Registered
543 Posts
... I have been trying to research for a replacement seat.
I have some lower back issues, too, although I find the E seats tolerable. A while back we drove a '98 Navigator for six years. Without question the most comfortable seat I've ever experienced. I could drive a full tank of gas on the highway nonstop. Excellent posture, well made, and a pneumatic lumbar system that was perfect. If I could make them fit in an E, I would refit in a heartbeat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts