Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The E is great, but the horn is decidely whimpy -- and my wife agrees.

So, has anyone replaced it yet?, and if so:

* what did you replace it with?
* how was the installation/fit ?
* how much louder/cooler does is sound?
* would you reccomend to others?

I discovered a tons of horns at the following link, but don't
know which might work best.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/catlevel1.jhtml?CATID=5009&BQ=jcw2&TID=216000037

I am looking for a loud, and authoritative horn, but not necessarily
air horns. Ease of installation would be important to me, and esp. if
no re-wiring is necessary, or minimal.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'd like to know where the horn is. I can't seem to see it under the hood easily. I would also be interested in changing it out for something a little more authouritative.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
One of the great things about working in the parts dept is that i have access to all the service manuals.To get to the horn you have to remove the drivers side inner fender liner.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Details, pictures? What sort of horn mounts are there, how much room? Spill your guts, me boyo... :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I was also considering a couple of install options:

(a) Just add an additional horn to the existing horn -- allowing more flexibility in where the new horn goes, and perhaps making the install easier??

(b) Replace the existing horn with a new single or dual horn configuration.

(c) Adding a new horn (perhaps a novelty horn) which operates independantly from the existing horn, perhaps even using the foglight switch to activate instead? I think the old fashioned "oh gah" horn might be funny, like what my dad has on his Model A.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats funny you mentioned that particular horn --

Last night, after looking around A LOT -- I decided that I like that horn best as well! I just wasn't sure which horn on the JC Whitney site that equated to, if any.

Most of the horn sound files are annoying as well -- but it gives you a good idea of what you might be getting into.

I also like the horn you mentioned because it appears to be very small -- only like 3 x 3 x 3 -- way smaller than most others -- and it sounded good and authoritative -- and 130db !! WOW Might scare the daylight out of someone -- hehe.

Can anyone provide the dimensions of the factory horn unit? That would be useful to know.

Looking under the hood this morning, the horn is clearly somewhere behind the driver side fender, but nowhere easily accessed without something being removed first. :(

I was wondering if that website (manual?) we had free access into might show details of the horn perhaps? Has anyone checked?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm planning to use two FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns (one high tone, one low tone) to replace the wimpy one that the Element comes with. I used them before on my S2000 & my Frontier and they worked great.

I believe the Element horn is on the driver side of the bumper corner. I'm planning to do this when I put my fog lights in. (maybe next week) I'll be sure to take plenty of pics.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Lordy, I am just scared of what one "Freeway Blaster" would sound like - much less two!

Please let me know if you're planning on being in my neighborhood. I will get ear protection! :wink: :shock: :!: :lol:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I mounted a dual air horn on the front roof rack and placed the compressor right behind it and used nuts,bolts and brackets to hold it all together. Gets peoples attention, real quick!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone removed the drivers side trim panel yet? How difficult is this to do? Any tips or advise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
get a set of Hella Airhorns - like $40. i had a set on my VW jetta and it sounded very European, but also loud as crap...the driver infront of you will think it's an Cruise ship coming up behind them. With all the space under the hood, there's got to be a good place to mount them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got a nice 4 element Lincoln horn from the junk yard. $5, and it sounds great.

Still waiting for the dealer to call to tell me my EXS is in. Supposedly this week...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts