Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make a key and honda dealership is asking $75 to program chip and then $90 to make the key. Is there any other way to get a key made? I want to make sure they aren't trying to overcharge for something because $150 for a honda key seems unreasonable. i can understand spending that much on a mercedes smart key.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You don't really have any alternatives but that is a bit outrageous, I've seen members quote much less than that to have a key cut and programmed. Did you buy your E new from the dealer? If so talk to the guy who sold it to you and get him to knock down the price. Otherwise do a little sweet talking and they'll drop it.

·
Banned
51 Posts
I had to pay like $100. That included the cutting & programming.

This is one of those 100% profit making things they can do, they know that no one else can do it so they can charge whatever they like.

I'd see if you can find another Honda Dealer in your area and see what they charge.

For what it is worth, Volvo gets over $300 for their keys.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,521 Posts
I paid about $150 for a new key, but, that was the Ridgeline all-in-one remote key (plus programming). For a stock key, that is a bit out there, IMHO..... :shock::roll::razz:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The key is cut on a specialized cutting machine (because of the side cuts), and the transponder has to be programmed before the cut key does you any good. The blank itself is more than just metal with a plastic head on it, too.

$150 is probably a bit high, but good luck finding anyone else that can A) even make the key, and B) has it a bit lower in price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
replacement key

I am not sure, but I think the main merchant on ebay selling replacement key blanks and remote starters, indicates that if you have a computer they will help you program the key once it is cut. They want 100.00 to program my key at the dealrership.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had only one key when I bought my E, I went to the dealer and the guy said they had to check if they had to program the new key or not.

I got lucky and they did not have to program mine and just cut the new key and I only paid $35, I guess I got really lucky!

·
12,179 Posts
I had only one key when I bought my E, I went to the dealer and the guy said they had to check if they had to program the new key or not.

I got lucky and they did not have to program mine and just cut the new key and I only paid $35, I guess I got really lucky!
All Honda keys from 2002 on have to be programmed.They may have comped you the programming fee.

·
12,179 Posts
I don't recall seeing the guy program anything, but saw him cut the key

Did they bring your E into the shop? Or did you just walk in have them cut they key ansd leave?

Some dealers and locksmiths use a key cloning machine. I copies the immobilizer code from your original key and transfers it to the new key. Most dealers likely won't have one since the cost about $6000 to buy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
DIY Key Programming???

I called the nearest dealer and inquired about getting a backup key. He said "I need your working key and $40". So I stuck my key in my pocket and rode my Harley an hour+ to the dealer only to find out that the $40 was for programming and the actual key was another $59. To top it off they also need the Element... "We just assumed that you would bring the car with the key"... So out of frustration I looked on the net to see if you can program a key by yourself, similar to programming a remote. I found the following, but it seems to good to be true and I am sure that if it was true someone would have posted it in this forum by now. I have the new "dead key" and would try it but I am not sure how the disabler would respond if I stick the unprogrammed key in the ingnition and turn it...??

“Did you know that you can program a key in your own car? All you need is one programmed key and you can make a spare key in your own ignition. You just put the original key in the ignition, turn the ignition to just before the engine starts up, turn off the ignition, put your new key in, turn the engine almost on, leave it for a few seconds, and boom, you have a programmed key. And the fact that you can program a key in your own ignition just goes to show you that the $40 programming fee is a complete rip”.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It's almost the same technique that i use for my new key in my Mustang GT.

Bert
It's not the same in all years of the E. I tried to buy two new keys and they were all ready to give me a deal on cut-n-program and then it turned that the '08 keys can't be reprogrammed. The car has to be programmed to accept the hard-code in each key blank. Price doubled when the service dept wanted the full programming fee for each key, even though they were doing two at the same time. No sale...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts