Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang!

My '04 finally blew a steel brake line a few weeks ago. I put a patch line in to get her home, but it's finally time to get the proper fix in with real parts. I ordered all 5 OEM replacement steel lines and am ready to put them in.

The big questions I have are: the DSM doesn't have any mention of replacing these lines! Is there anything special I need to do? I'm specifically interested/concerned about replacing the line between the Master CYL and the ABS modulator. will that line just naturally bleed/fill once replaced? Is there anything special to do within the modulator?

Lastly, are there any gotchas I should know about before digging in? Special tools I should use, etc? (I have a vacuum pump and plan to be using that)

Thanks in advance!

Also, a PS note about buying these pre-bent brake lines via the dealership: Not all dealerships are the same. My 'local' dealership in NYC (actually out in Jersey) wanted $300 PER LINE, and they require you to drive out there to pay (no payment over the phone) and later to pick them up. I called up my original go-to dealership in New Hampshire, and they quoted me roughly $30 per line, and I could pay over the phone. They offered to freight ship them to me too for one single cost of $250 ( for all of them). What gives with these guys charging such a varied rate. I'd think Honda would set the prices uniformly?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Speculation only: The $30 price is for a shop making up the lines to suit since it's super simple and cheap, even with hand tools. The $300 price per line is for a dealer looking for a way to separate you from your dollars.

·
Registered
302 Posts
$30/line sounds like quite a bargain, I'd take that in a flash. A couple of those lines have many bends in them, getting them right is not that easy, not for one with my skills, anyway. Also, I think it's a total of 6 lines, not 5, at least on my 2003.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda does provide a “suggested price” to its dealers and most of your local ones will charge exactly that to any random Joe walking in off the street. “Standardizing” the prices as you suggest would constitute price fixing and is strictly illegal in the U.S. as it is ultimately bad for consumers.

After you experience the inevitable sticker shock you’ll get from the prices quoted by local dealers (manufacturer’s SRP), go online and fine one of the half dozen or so Honda dealers across the country that have setup internet stores for OEM Honda parts and offer prices 20-30% below MSRP. Many, many threads on this forum talk about Majestic Honda as I believe they were the first dealer to do this. I chose the one I use most due to their relatively close proximity to me which means substantially faster ground shipping times.

Here is a link to one such dealer’s page that includes the brake lines you are looking for:
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2003-honda-element-5dr_dx_4wd-ka-4at/brake-lines.html

Hope that helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda does provide a “suggested price” to its dealers and most of your local ones will charge exactly that to any random Joe walking in off the street. “Standardizing” the prices as you suggest would constitute price fixing and is strictly illegal in the U.S. as it is ultimately bad for consumers.

After you experience the inevitable sticker shock you’ll get from the prices quoted by local dealers (manufacturer’s SRP), go online and fine one of the half dozen or so Honda dealers across the country that have setup internet stores for OEM Honda parts and offer prices 20-30% below MSRP. Many, many threads on this forum talk about Majestic Honda as I believe they were the first dealer to do this. I chose the one I use most due to their relatively close proximity to me which means substantially faster ground shipping times.

Here is a link to one such dealer’s page that includes the brake lines you are looking for:
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2003-honda-element-5dr_dx_4wd-ka-4at/brake-lines.html

Hope that helps

I started with HPN, but they didn't actually have those lines, and referred me to the dealership. As mentioned, I wound up calling up the Honda Dealership in NH, and they quoted me exactly the same MSRP price that HPN did. (As opposed to the Honda dealership in New Jersey that quoted me a 1000% markup). Price fixing is illegal when companies get together to do it. Establishing an MSRP price that dealerships should charge isn't illegal, and is expected. Just to be clear my comparison was between "Official Honda Dealerships" and not, a honda dealership vs some local shop.

Anyhow. $30/line is what I paid for pre-bent which I was pretty stoked with.

I've started the process of swapping them out, and.... there's a lot of rust :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I started with HPN, but they didn't actually have those lines, and referred me to the dealership. As mentioned, I wound up calling up the Honda Dealership in NH, and they quoted me exactly the same MSRP price that HPN did. (As opposed to the Honda dealership in New Jersey that quoted me a 1000% markup). Price fixing is illegal when companies get together to do it. Establishing an MSRP price that dealerships should charge isn't illegal, and is expected. Just to be clear my comparison was between "Official Honda Dealerships" and not, a honda dealership vs some local shop.

Anyhow. $30/line is what I paid for pre-bent which I was pretty stoked with.

I've started the process of swapping them out, and.... there's a lot of rust :)
how did replacing the lines go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts