Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the metal front fender panels of a 2010 EX AWD can be replaced by the black plastic fenders of an LX, for example. The metal painted fenders have a couple of black plastic trim pieces on the edges of the wheel well. Whereas the black plastic fenders are of one piece from what I have seen. I don't think this is as issue, but internally the mounting points and fastening methods may be different. Any feedback would be appreciated.
The previous owner of my new (used ) had a mishap and although a local Honda dealer quoted me $120.00 for a new front fender, the cost of installation and painting brings it to about $1200.00. I have always wanted the model with the black plastic fenders and so now I might have the opportunity to get the fronts the way I want them. If everything works out maybe I'll do the rears as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All 2010's have metal front fenders with a plastic edge (squared style)...

If you're suggesting installing plastic fenders from the 2008 LX and earlier (round style) then no it would not directly work without installing every body panel infront of the front doors... hood, fenders, bumpers, headlights, grill. Which all are different between those models.

That is, if I understood you correctly... because downgrading the front end wouldn't make sense at all...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I wasn't entirely sure what the exact differences were between all of the models and I thought that even in 2010 there were models of the Element made with the black plastic fenders. Replacing all of the body panels in forward of the front doors is a bit extreme just to avoid what seems to be an outrageous the cost of a paint job for quarter panel, but I would probably have a one of a kind on my hands. Isn't that what being an E owners is all about anyways. Being different...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I feel the cost comes from the color. many colors put out there nowadays take quite a bit to match. pearls and color change colors can be a pain. and all these heavy metallic paints change color depending how its sprayed :/

it may be easier to look on ebay for a 09+ fender in rbp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice, Thanks, I was thinking that one option would be to purchase an unpainted fender for the $120 (price quoted from a local Honda dealership) and bringing it to a body shop with the paint code. I could likely install it myself with enough time and tools. Hammer, chisel and duct tape. I'll likely go this route.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A lot of the colors on new vehicles have to be blended in with the old paint when repainting a panel or the new fender might not look the same as the rest of the vehicle. You might be better off getting a few estimates from some body shops other than the dealership. $1000 for paint and labor to replace a fender seems kind of high to me.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
from the dealer 1k$ doesnt seem to excessive at a generic body shop perhaps.

when I first got my E less then a week after taking her home I dropped it off at the dealer for paint work. mirrors,windshield garnish and the hinge cover trim for rear door. it ended up costing me over 1500$ but it also got added into my paint war so for me at the time it was worth it.

ide go to a normal shop now. (I was nervous about the painting textured plastic for the first time)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did get the painting quote from a Honda dealer, which said that they would send it to an independent body shop to do the painting and installation. I have always wanted the black plastic fenders and bumpers of the other models/years for their practical value. Parking lot mishaps like door dings etc... Unfortunately this is inevitable and so I like the idea of the plastic taking the majority of the hits where it counts. I ordered my Echo with the black plastic bumpers for the same reason. When I park it I don't worry about the colour matched painted bumpers getting bumped and scratched causing the paint to eventually flake or peel off sometimes exposing the yellow primed plastic. I don't worry also because it's an Echo. I often see high end sports cars and the like, with dinged up and dented bumpers or doors whereas the rest of the car looks great. The black paint idea just wouldn't be the same. I guess it's going to have to be a cattle bar on the front and some stratigically placed spikes for me. And as soon as I got the Element I started parking way far away from everyone else when I go to the mall. Perhaps I should have held out for an EX with the black plastic but this was too good of a deal to pass up IMHO. 2010 with 21000 KMS in otherwise excellent condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts