Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm brand new here, hi. I've got a 2011 Element, 4WD, automatic. One of my interior lights went out, but I've heard it called many names on this site alone. Cabin light, map light, front n' center bright thingy (ok I made that last one up.) So here's the thing: I KNOW I can replace it with a normal DE3022, buuuuuUUUUUUuuut...I'm tired of that weak pale yellow light, and I wanted to replace ALL the lights. At least up top. So that means both map lights, the center light (not sure what that one's called, all I know is that it says Toshiba 12V8W), and the cargo light.

I wanted to put some LED lights in, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I've seen some online that are the right shape, except they've got this really wide waffle of LEDs in the middle, two or three times the width of the rest of the bulb, and I'm PRETTY sure that those won't fit. So I'm coming to you guys...if you had to replace all those topside interior lights with LEDs, where would you go and what kind of lights would you get? Any and all relevant links would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
start here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41134

Some people will swear by over priced, whatever name tacked onto a generic wrapper, fancy wording hoo ha hah, to each their own. As I always say dont fall for the hype, go with what works. Ebay quality in general may be lacking visually and some parts may need resoldering for the better safe that sorry category but the prices are drastically different between website resellers and ebay. Chose wisely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
start here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41134

Some people will swear by over priced, whatever name tacked onto a generic wrapper, fancy wording hoo ha hah, to each their own. As I always say dont fall for the hype, go with what works. Ebay quality in general may be lacking visually and some parts may need resoldering for the better safe that sorry category but the prices are drastically different between website resellers and ebay. Chose wisely.
Sweet, thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The manufacturing process for LEDs leaves a lot of B stock. Most LEDs people see for sale are B or C stock that has been passed over by reputable brands. (big brands, like Osram, LG, Philips, etc..) Commercial LED fixtures have very high QA requirements, and there are a lot that dont make the cut.

There is a large price range for seemingly identical products for a reason, and that reason is quality. It doesnt mean the cheap ones suck or wont last, but they might not be quite as bright, or wont last quite as long; They wont be quite true to color and they often wont match exactly. (2 lights side by side can have slight variation in light color).
If you buy cheap ones, buy all of the lights you want at once, and pick up a couple extras at the same time because they are made in batches, and no two batches will be identical this low on the quality chain.

All that said, most people are more than happy with the cheap LED options because they still greatly exceed the output of traditional incandescent lighting, and even with a short life span last just as long as a regular light would. Just dont go for the absolute bottom price you can find, look at pics of the products and or reviews, and use common sense when shopping; companies with a low priced quality item will look better than places just blowing out as many cheap items as they can.

As for finding the right bulbs, just search the light model number and add "LED" to the end. That will give you pretty much all the LED options you want & can use. Many of the LED options have a wide range of interchangeability, which means the same LED bulb can work in a long list of other bulb fixtures without modification.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just ordered from superbrightleds.com two interior LED dome light bulbs (3022-xHP4). One third brake light LED (7440-x45-T) and two LED brake light bulbs (7443-x45-T). Googled a 5% discount coupon good till 7.31. (Use focusfan13) Basically paid for the shipping cost. Hope to get them this week. I had to hold myself back from replacing all my lights and spend a small fortune.

·
Registered
477 Posts
has to be a 10 character min to reply. just wanted to say yep.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I will do so. can't wait to get them. love getting stuff I order in the mail. Who doesn't? already took out my two interior dome bulbs in preparation! (No not my brake light bulbs.:razz:).

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ive yet to see anything affordable LED plug and play wise for tail lights thats worth the swap. Be safe and make the right call if the output isnt there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
automationLED.com

for all your LEd needs+

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ive yet to see anything affordable LED plug and play wise for tail lights thats worth the swap. Be safe and make the right call if the output isnt there.
Ok. So I got these LED's pretty quick and installed them. I have to say, there is a big difference in light output between the LED and incandescent bulb for the interior dome lights. Highly recommend the interior replacement. As for the rear brake lights, the difference isn't quite as huge. IMO, they are still brighter, but I don't know if they are worth the $75 I paid for 3 bulbs. Sorry no pics but check out slobadon's thread. He has pics of the same bulb replacement and I pretty much agree with his assessment. I think to take advantage of the LED's, one needs to replace the bulb housing. Note that one of his bulbs went out after a year but there is a 2 yr warranty. I'm keeping my stock blubs of course just in case.

On a separate note, I just ordered 2 pairs of polk audio DB 651s for both front and rear. When I bought my car, it came with an aftermarket pioneer head unit, so I assumed the PO replaced the speakers too. You would think I'd notice the diff but I was curious and pulled off the speaker grill and it was stock.

·
Registered
89 Posts
FYI, I ordered some LED interior and license plate bulbs recently and wanted to report on the fit, etc.

The license plate bayonet bulbs fit fine. They illuminate the plate very well. No issues.

The interior (map and dome) bulb's ends are at least 25% too small in diameter for the mounting clips/connectors. You can squeeze the connectors all you like, but you're not going to get a good fit. I'm going to wrap the ends of these with a loop or two of copper wire to get them to the right size. I ordered them from Amazon

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Partsam-2003-2008-Element-Interior-Package/dp/B00ODW3AF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437661279&sr=1-1&keywords=element+LED+interior[/ame]

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
574 Posts
FYI, I ordered some LED interior and license plate bulbs recently and wanted to report on the fit, etc.

The license plate bayonet bulbs fit fine. They illuminate the plate very well. No issues.

The interior (map and dome) bulb's ends are at least 25% too small in diameter for the mounting clips/connectors. You can squeeze the connectors all you like, but you're not going to get a good fit. I'm going to wrap the ends of these with a loop or two of copper wire to get them to the right size. I ordered them from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Partsam-2003-2008-Element-Interior-Package/dp/B00ODW3AF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437661279&sr=1-1&keywords=element+LED+interior
I used the endcaps from the stock bulbs to shim out the led bulbs I used. Pulled right off and slid right on.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
The interior (map and dome) bulb's ends are at least 25% too small in diameter for the mounting clips/connectors.
Published part numbers for the dome light have been wrong for years, and none of the vendors seem interested in correcting them. See footnotes 5, 6, and 7 here.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I get all the electronics components and , and most of the other non perishable stuff I buy from internet sellers. The only exception in recent memory is Honda fluids, which are cheaper locally at list price, than paying cross country shipping.

You can get an idea of reliability on ebay by looking at the seller profile how long they have been there, the number of sales and their ratings. I count a US shipping location as a plus. Amazon is ok too, but as an aggregator, provides less information about the merchants than eBay.

Independent internet seller sites don't have vendor ratings or reliable product reviews, or a consistent way of getting a bad product refunded or replaced.

I've rarely gotten a bad electronics components from a long-time high-volume highly-rated ebay seller with a US presence. I've frequently gotten bad electronic components from other sellers.

I switched to cabin LEDs in my 2004 to protect against leaving the lights turned on overnight. The higher illuminations level was a welcome bonus. With my 2008's black interior, more illumination is a necessity.

I put a very cheap ebay 24 LED panel in the center dome of my 2004, and it was still going string after 11 years. The newer panels with SMDs are better, still pretty inexpensive. The 12 LED SMD panel in my 2008 puts out as much light as the 24 LED panel in my 2004 did.

The higher output COB panels dump too much waste heat to be left on for extended periods.

Some of the cheap COB lights that look like they'd fit in the reading lamps have heat sinks that are so long that they easily short out against the lamp's connectors. (I blew the fuse doing this.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a map light go out back in January. I saw my Walmart sold LED's that would fit, so I bought bulbs to replace all the overhead cabin lights. They were a direct fit, and they have worked flawlessly. I think they were Pilot brand? They were cheap enough, and I didn't have to wait or pay for shipping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts