Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll,

I have 4 Geolander HTS 215/70R16s (stock size) on my element. Alas, I now have a nail near the edge of one of the front tires - though apparently it has been there a while without leaking.

I'd guess the front tires have about 20K miles left on em, the rears look to have about 10K.

If it was you, would you buy a new geolander for just the tire or replace all four? Looking at about $100/tire from tire rack or discount tire.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Personally....I'd plug it (if it were far enough from the sidewall) or just replace the one tire with the same brand/type/model/size.

Maybe if I was concerned or nervous I'd do both, but all 4 is overkill.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You would be better off plugging it or trying to find a used replacement with similar mileage to keep the overall diameter the same as the other tires. A brand new tire could be over an inch taller than the worn down ones and would cause problems with the RT4WD system. Ideally you should replace tires in pairs or all four at a time but, we don't all have the ideal wallet stuffed with hundred dollar bills to do so.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the plug doesn't hold, Tire Rack will shave a new tire to whatever tread depth you need. I did this a couple of years ago when I punctured the sidewall on a previous 4WD vehicle. It's not a good idea to mix a new tire with a used one on the same axle.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
when the rears need to be replaced, you should get a nice fresh set.
your e will thank you for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts