Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 EX MT bought last year from a "dealer" [who wasn't] who bought this E from an auction. I paid under 5K and it runs fine [after valve adjust]

I discovered that the passenger airbag is missing...looks like someone was trying to maximize their profit. The wiring harness was cut.

The "idiot" light on the instrument panel does not show it, so probably it's been "fixed" too. No error codes show up but my scanner is very basic.

I have located a replacement from an OEM used dealer and need to know the pros/cons of doing myself. The replacement has the intact harness.

I know disconnecting the battery for several hours is needed. Dash is apart. Should I track back and pull the harness or just splice it?

Any other issues to worry about? I'm in Broward County Florida

s

·
Registered
893 Posts
Do not mess with the airbag. the circuitry of the repaired car could make the device go off during installation or at any other unwanted time. The crash sensors were obviously activated as well and you do not know the extent of the damage on the whole system. Going to the trouble of verifying and testing the whole system again might not worth the cost of the vehicle. Your salvage car does not have the supplemental restraint anymore. your safety belt is your main and only restraint on that vehicle.

Now. If you bought that car and someone knowingly "Fixed" the AirBag light so you don't notice the lack of the safety device instead of disclosing the modification, could be legally responsible for putting you in danger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts