Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Followed the instructions from the dealer but can't loosed the lower shock bolt. I don;t have much leverage as the car is not on a hoist. I think the bolt is going at 65 ft lbs but ive registered over 90ft lbs on the rachet and its still not moving.. any suggestions

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well not using a torque wrench to remove a bolt would be a start. More then likely you will need some heat, rusty spray of some sort or both. Air impact would more then likely break it way with just some spray.

Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
Leverage

I am going to assume you are not use a torque wrench, get a 1/2" breaker bar -similar to a socket wrench but there is no racheting option. Spray it with some WD-40 and apply elbow grease and a hernia, it will loosen up, if not you'll twist the head of the bolt off-either way it will be off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
get a 1" steel pipe and put it over the end of your ratchet/breaker bar for extra leverage if necessary, but WD-40 and/or PB blaster on the bolt beforehand will definitely help. Let it soak for a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agree to the above. I have never needed to use air on a car. Air only speeds things up, in terms of torque, a good breaker bar with a pipe on it will loosen almost anything. Spray some PB blaster on it and let it soak for a night. If it still will not come off heat it with a torch for a few minutes and try again. Just because it went on with 60lbs of torque does not mean that is all it will take to get it off. With rust, corrosion and other things, it might take a lot more. Never take bolts off with your torque wrench, you will damage it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Once you have used air impacts, you will never go back. Heat, rusty spray, and impacts, the only way to fly on a rusty old car. Not say they won't break things because they can, I think my old half inch ingersol goes well over 450 ft-lbs. That is untill you start to work with stainless and then you realize your impacts are now useless, as I have recently(not to mention all those years of wire feed welder).

Chris

·
Registered
839 Posts
You are going to need heat and a serious 1/2" air-driven impact gun like the others have mentioned.

I've worked on two Elements at the shop so far with seized rear lower strut bolts (one was my own :lol:) and I had to heat them up good to free them. Bear in mind I also have a two-month old Chicago Pneumatic 7750 1/2" impact gun with 800 lb-ft of torque and it worked pretty good to free up those bolts.

Just prior to reassembly, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND lubricating all metal-to-metal contact areas with a quality anti-seize paste on any and all bolts you remove on your Element that are or may be exposed to the elements (no pun intended LOL). I actually went so far as to spend an entire Saturday afternoon and evening at work after hours removing every single nut and bolt from the bottom of my Element, lubricating them all with moly paste, then putting them back in (loading the suspension where required of course) and then had the Element aligned after.

After the work it took to free mine and the one customer's rear strut bolts, I didn't want to take any chances with mine :D.

P.S. Don't heat up the bolt so it starts to turn red, you just want it really really hot to the point you can't even touch it at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts