Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freshly re-keyed new locking gas cap ready to go into service. The original cap has a cord to keep it from falling to the ground. Can I safely pry the ring without cord off of the locking cap, pry the ring off of the original, then apply the corded ring to the locking cap? What do I need to look for or beware of?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gas Cap Epilogue

My new locking gas cap is in place. There appears to be no way to tether it to the body so it is free to roam for now. My mechanic said that the cap does not separate to remove or install the ring. So it goes.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My new locking gas cap is in place. There appears to be no way to tether it to the body so it is free to roam for now. My mechanic said that the cap does not separate to remove or install the ring. So it goes.
Hang on to your original cap. Several owners have had the seals on their locking gas caps fail. Also, if your goal is to prevent gas theft - the cap isn't much of a deterrent. Just means the extra damage as they yank it off with a pry-bar. Usually the cap acts more to piss them off than anything, and you get some nice "I'll show you!" damage (like the gas door ripped off too), along with the missing gas. On many systems anymore, the emission stuff prevents syphoning anyway, so most serious gas thieves don't even open the gas door, they just punch or drill a hole in the tank itself, or cut through the filler tube behind the fender, and drain the gas into a pan, or stick in a hose and syphon away. :oops:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hang on to your original cap. Several owners have had the seals on their locking gas caps fail. Also, if your goal is to prevent gas theft - the cap isn't much of a deterrent. Just means the extra damage as they yank it off with a pry-bar. Usually the cap acts more to piss them off than anything, and you get some nice "I'll show you!" damage (like the gas door ripped off too), along with the missing gas. On many systems anymore, the emission stuff prevents syphoning anyway, so most serious gas thieves don't even open the gas door, they just punch or drill a hole in the tank itself, or cut through the filler tube behind the fender, and drain the gas into a pan, or stick in a hose and syphon away. :oops:

You sound well informed. (too much so). Which side are you on?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You sound well informed. (too much so). Which side are you on?
On the side of the good guys. :)

Our neighborhood was hit a few times a year or two ago - both gas thieves and cat. converter thieves. Advice I posted was straight from the lips of our local neighborhood watch Police liaison officer (and our neighborhood's practical experience). :roll:

I added a "Cat Cage" to my E about then to protect the converter, and also installed Honda side steps, to make it harder to get at the cat. converter and gas tank. No one in our neighborhood put on the locking gas cap, after two neighbors had almost $1000 "cap removal" damage done to their vehicles. One thief use what must have been a claw-hammer, and almost took the whole fender off removing the cap. Later the thieves got smarter and just started knocking holes in tanks or cutting the filler tubes .

·
Registered
229 Posts
On the side of the good guys. :)

Our neighborhood was hit a few times a year or two ago - both gas thieves and cat. converter thieves. Advice I posted was straight from the lips of our local neighborhood watch Police liaison officer (and our neighborhood's practical experience). :roll:

I added a "Cat Cage" to my E about then to protect the converter, and also installed Honda side steps, to make it harder to get at the cat. converter and gas tank. No one in our neighborhood put on the locking gas cap, after two neighbors had almost $1000 "cap removal" damage done to their vehicles. One thief use what must have been a claw-hammer, and almost took the whole fender off removing the cap. Later the thieves got smarter and just started knocking holes in tanks or cutting the filler tubes .
They just break windows around here, steal tools.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Fast forward three years. i am thinking of replacing my gas cap with a locking one. Not to deter fuel theft. I keep my cars in the garage. Just the occasional trips out of town and for the peace of mind. My Ody had a remote fuel door release from the inside which I wish the E had. But like MKH pointed out, a determined thief will just rip off the fuel door anyway. Question for fellow E drivers, will any aftermarket locking cap work, Will it trigger a CEL? Also, any favored makers? Amazon has several brands all under $20. I'm curious if most people are fine with their non locking caps or not.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
No need for an aftermarket one.

Get the OEM one and do the re-key trick with it so you can use your ignition key to unlock it.

It's kind of an ass pain to get the cylinder apart to gain access to the tumblers you have to Dremmel tool off, so if you can find a locksmith to do it for about $20-30, I'd say go for it. One of the best mods I never even think about that I've done so far.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe I just got lucky but swapped the wafers around until the ignition key worked. No dremmel tool needed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm a cheap sob, so i dont want to hire a locksmith. Does the OEM cap come with its own key? What is a wafer? Is there a thread to show me how? If not, kindly educate me. thank you.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Maybe I just got lucky but swapped the wafers around until the ignition key worked. No dremmel tool needed.
I would say yes, you got very lucky.

I'm a cheap sob, so i dont want to hire a locksmith. Does the OEM cap come with its own key? What is a wafer? Is there a thread to show me how? If not, kindly educate me. thank you.

OEM locking caps come with their own keys. So it's another key you have to keep track of, unless you tweak it to make it work with your ignition key. I used the step by step thread somewhere on this board to do it. Comes with pictures and everything. I didn't go as far as removing pins (what the other guy called whaffers), I just stuck the ignition key in and ground down the pins that were sticking up with a sanding wheel in my Dremmel. Easy enough job, and I learned something.

The biggest PITA of the whole thing was separating the lock's insides from the housing. I used some small flat head screwdrivers and a lot of colorful language.

If you DO decide to go the OEM route and are planning to rekey the lock, DON'T get all excited when you get the cap and stick the lock mechanism into the cap. It's a pretty decent size PITA to get that back out once it's in the cap (Cap and lock come seperate).

·
Registered
477 Posts
mahalo Island:grin:

·
Registered
477 Posts
well now what. the dealer just told me honda doesn't make an oem locking cap for a 2010. I asked whether an aftermarket one would throw a cel, and he didnt know. should I try an aftermarket one? is he correct honda doesn't make one for a 2010?:-(

·
12,180 Posts
well now what. the dealer just told me honda doesn't make an oem locking cap for a 2010. I asked whether an aftermarket one would throw a cel, and he didnt know. should I try an aftermarket one? is he correct honda doesn't make one for a 2010?:-(

Technically he is correct. Honda stopped listing the accessory cap for the 2006 model year when they switched to the tethered cap.

The locking cap offered from 2003-2005 will work but you won't be able to tether it to the gas door.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
That whole tethering thing is over rated and personally a PITA. I just stick it in the gas cap holder thing on the gas door. Never bothered me any. Keeps it from dangling and possibly rubbing against the paint in that area.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't care for the tether either. I will try the oem cap for 03-05. Mahalo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts