Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, im planning on replacing the oem subwoofer, no modification to the enclosure. have a few questions, the oem subs are 6"? will it rattle the radio/climate control trim? has anyone done this, if so which subs? thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's been done a lot here, as you'll soon see I'm sure. I've seen people here drop in woofers from JL Audio, Kicker, JBL, and Elemental Designs. So it's being done with minimal customization. You will need another amplifier since the OEM amp just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ive seen alot of postings but its all mods to the enclosure.. i dont wanna mod anything, just replace. are they 6" or 6.5"?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Like Gibroni said, its been thoroughly discussed here. The biggest weakness to the factory sub, isn't the sub at all, its the power. You're going to gain next to nothing by replacing the sub. I would strongly recommend upgrading to another amplifier for the factory sub. If thats not enough, you can then easily upgrade the sub as well.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
6 1/2" usually the box is resealed and filled with polyfill. The OEM box is ported so usually the port is sealed also. If you do a thread search you'll find a few projects.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I didn't modify my box until I replaced it with my eD eu-700. After replacing it though, sealing the seams made a slight audible difference and sealing the port off made a pretty significant difference. With that particular speaker I'd recommend both, but you'll probably have similar results with other speakers.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
does it really make a difference for the stock sub to fill the port in the back?
Don't seal the port if you're not replacing the woofer itself. If you are planning on replacing tha OEM speaker with an aftermarket one then yes, seal the port. A subwoofer and it's box work as a team. That box with it's port were designed to be used with that speaker. Seal the port and it's just another sealed box where the necessary parameter is it's volume and you can pug in any speaker suitable for that volume. Others here have successfully used the OEM woofer as is and replaced the amplifier.

·
Registered
300 Posts
what about for the power supply from the stock amp? does anyone know how much power it is getting? can you take that power wire that powers the stock amp and splice it into the aftermarket amp?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
With out getting into major system upgrades and modifications, are there some inexpensive "plug and play" amps that we can get for the E.

I replaced the stock speakers in the doors and the sound is better but the sub needs help. I have read a hundred references to "the sub is not that bad just the amp", for those of us that just want a little better sound what is the easiest DIY we can do?

Just thought that maybe we could come up with a clear post concerning this topic because it seems to come up a lot.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
There's no "plug in" replacement amplifier for the Element. The OEM amplifier is tiny.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
what about for the power supply from the stock amp? does anyone know how much power it is getting? can you take that power wire that powers the stock amp and splice it into the aftermarket amp?
I wouldn't advise it. The power wires to the OEM amp are probably going to be too small to provide enough current to a larger amp. You could start a fire that way!:evil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts