Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me say hello, this is agreat site. I'm geting ready to buy new tires for my 09 E-EX AWD as the OEM tires are just really starting to show their weaknesses. I'm an average driver that rarely gets on it around town. I just drive slow and steady with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving. We do seem to deal with snow and ice each year, but on avg nothing really bad. Usually blackice and maybe 6 to 10 inch snows.
So I'm trying to decide between these two tires and was wondering if anyone would comment on how they affected their MPG after install. Tire size I'm looking at is 225/70/16.
Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also look at the Yokohama Avid TRZ 225-70-16. I've used it over the years and would not change the brand. It has a very very quiet ride and 80K threadwear warranty. Only $83 at Tirerack. This will replace my tires-I think it was a uniroyal. Got all Yokohama's in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i think on this site you find far more fans of the Nokians.
I am running Alenza 235/70/16. I was happy with them. They performed very well in almost all conditions. Two satisfactory winters with them. This is the first winter I took them off and got dedicated snow tires. They were not that great in the snow once they hit 30,000 miles. I plan to put them back on in the spring and get one more spring/summer/fall out of them.
Their strength was excellent traction in the rain and great cornering and performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Did you notice a decrease in your MPG with them? I'm leaning towards the Nokians, but my local tire shop is offering me a good deal on the Alenzas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Bridgestone Dueler AT's 225/70/16 with about 40,000 miles on them and they still have much tread left. I did not have any mpg change, however they are louder than the goodyears but handle great in all weather.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Nokians, Hands down!

Dom

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have the Nokians on my '09 Forester and they are without any doubt the best all around tire I have used. Not cheap-but worth every penny.

As soon as we get our financial situation straightened out (if that ever happens!) I am ditching the Badyear Wronglers on our '06 E and getting Nokians for it too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just called the local distributer in Louisville, price $692.00 M & B out the door. So once my Nokian WRG2-SUVs are in I'll be putting them on. I'm going with 225/70/16s. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well dealer called this morning and said they are having issues getting the tires and will call me Monday with a status.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm going with the Nokian's as soon as I come close to needing tires. I can't wait to get the stocks off but to cheap to throw out tires that are still ok:)

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tire Brands

I don't know what the OEM tires were for my Element but mine had Goodyear Eagles on it when I purchased at 27,000 miles. I have 35,000 now and at the end of next week will have close to 40,000 miles (long trip from Jacksonville to Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis and back). Tread looks good thus far.

The replacements will either be Michelin Primacy MXV4s or Hydroedge X-Greens... whatever suits me at the time. I only buy Michelins. The last set on my Volvo went 88,000 miles before needing replacement. I consistently get 80,000+ miles from Michelins as most of my driving is highway... around 40,000 miles a year.

As always, YMMV. Bibendum says `hi`.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought the Hydroedge X-Greens did not have a good snow and ice rating. I know AL. doesn't get much, but it does happen from time to time. Something to think about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah the Primacies have a good rating from what I saw.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Michelin Hydroedge

Sure, it snows in Alabama... one day last month, for example. But that's one day in the last ten years. Don't think snow will be a problem.

As always, YMMV.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts