Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. First post. Bought my 2006 Element EX brand new and currently have 178,000 miles. Engine strong, knock on wood, but I have an issue with the left front wheel. There is a thumping sound and I have been to several mechanics who can‘ figure it out. It happens at any speed. Had the entire front suspension/steering parts redone last year, new tires in August and just had a new bearing replaced. Still doing it. Does anyone know a Honda mechanic that actually knows these cars instead of trying to feed me whatever common issues cause this. If I get one more mechanic try to say I need an alignment (which has been done several times) I will literally trade the E in. Can someone please help?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The two parts that went on mine are the lower control arm bushing (compliance bushing?) and ball joint. Did you replace those? If not I would start with those. If you did you can try Dave. He does nice work.

IMG_11451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you tell a mechanic just what you wrote you will not get very much other than guesses, particularly when it comes to noises. You need to describe the character of the noise and when it occurs. Is the noise constant when moving and related to vehicle speed? Thumping only when accelerating? Thumping only when hitting bumps or dips? Only when turning? Only on Thursdays? Like that. Better yet, get the theoretical mechanic to go for a ride with you so you can demonstrate the noise.

My apologies if you have already done these things.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,983 Posts
As a mechanic for 42 yrs, you need to road test with the mechanic and "show' the noise. Way to many times the noise I hear is not what the customer has described.
Also, make sure whoever you go to for the repairs, make sure they have chassis ears. We use this to pinpoint noises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you tell a mechanic just what you wrote you will not get very much other than guesses, particularly when it comes to noises. You need to describe the character of the noise and when it occurs. Is the noise constant when moving and related to vehicle speed? Thumping only when accelerating? Thumping only when hitting bumps or dips? Only when turning? Only on Thursdays? Like that. Better yet, get the theoretical mechanic to go for a ride with you so you can demonstrate the noise.

My apologies if you have already done these things.
Thank you. Yes. These other mechanics have gone on road tests with me and I’ve let them drive it with me in the passenger seat. Explaining the situations when it happens, having them do the same maneuver to recreate the noises and no one can get it. I have used the dealer and 4 other mechanics.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There’s a guy called “Hondaman” near Pasadena (towards Annapolis) and I found him to be honest and very helpful. He specializes of course on Honda and Acura.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone. First post. Bought my 2006 Element EX brand new and currently have 178,000 miles. Engine strong, knock on wood, but I have an issue with the left front wheel. There is a thumping sound and I have been to several mechanics who can‘ figure it out. It happens at any speed. Had the entire front suspension/steering parts redone last year, new tires in August and just had a new bearing replaced. Still doing it. Does anyone know a Honda mechanic that actually knows these cars instead of trying to feed me whatever common issues cause this. If I get one more mechanic try to say I need an alignment (which has been done several times) I will literally trade the E in. Can someone please help?
I had a thumping noise at low speeds and sharp turns. Went to a transmission repair shop, they replace the fluid in the transfer case, problem solved!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I literally just returned from an adventure in Death Valley and found I have to get both wheel ball joints replaced and am told this is fairly normal with AWD cars. It was clunking and the steering wheel was shuddering while braking at high speeds. I was also getting heavy shuddering and some sloppiness in the wheel when going round righthand bends at high speeds (>50mph). All this has led to new ball joints and struts....thats my story (at ~250k miles)...hope it helps

·
Registered
312 Posts
Omg, you went to 250k without replacing ball joints?!! That’s not just AWD vehicles, it’s all vehicles...period. Depending on your climate (salt, snow) most cars have ball joints going bad around 150k or sooner.
Change those ball joints!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no idea on the actual issue but I live in Baltimore and my very smart, very honest mechanic also has an E that the will never part with.
they’re in Parkville. It’s Jimmy ax’s and he uses space inside of Carney Tire just off Joppa Rd.
Their number is (410) 661-0070
Definitely call them. He’s great, and very practical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no idea on the actual issue but I live in Baltimore and my very smart, very honest mechanic also has an E that the will never part with.
they’re in Parkville. It’s Jimmy ax’s and he uses space inside of Carney Tire just off Joppa Rd.
Their number is (410) 661-0070
Definitely call them. He’s great, and very practical.
Uggg typos I didn’t see - sorry. Jimmy Z’s is the name!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Omg, you went to 250k without replacing ball joints?!! That’s not just AWD vehicles, it’s all vehicles...period. Depending on your climate (salt, snow) most cars have ball joints going bad around 150k or sooner.
Hahaha! Thanks. Yes. Well first, I know hardly anything about cars! If it starts and moves it works (yes yes I know.....!). But also in my defense, I only bought her at 210k and had her thoroughly checked out by a mechanic and was given a 'safety issue free' diagnosis. Some minor things to do but nothing dangerous. I also had another check and tune up about a month ago...again no problems detected. So I take all this as a fair warning...if again I feel something weird in the driving Im going to be insistent about it! Cos I felt it for a while the looseness in the wheel and heard the clunking and described it to various mechanics and then took their opinion that there was nothing wrong....wont do that again! So on that note....have you got any other 'rules to live by' like change ball joints at 150k that I probably dont know about and maybe should think about??!! cheers!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I feel like such a terrible person...342k, and all my suspension is original.
To make it worse, i had a lower balljoint let go at speed in a mid 80s Pontiac.
Not as fun as it sounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts