Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went this morning to help a guy try to get his 2006 E running again - it's been sitting for 1.5 years. 130,000 miles. He indicated it was spitting oil all over the place the last time he had it running. I pulled the dipstick and it was covered in oil WAY up the stick. I drained out 11+ quarts of oil to get the level slightly below full on the dipstick. I pulled one spark plug - it was carboned up, but not soaking in oil. The battery was completely dead (my charger didn't recognize that it was connected to a battery), so we jumped it. Cranked it briefly and no oil spat out the plug hole. Reinstalled the plug. Cranked it for a few seconds a couple times and it made no attempt to fire. Pulled a hose off the intake duct upstream of the throttle body and sprayed in some brake cleaner - it coughed a couple times, then fired. Slow idle at first, then sped up, belching blue/white smoke from the tailpipe. It ran at high idle for a while then kicked down and the idle started surging. As it warmed up, steam seemed to be coming out of the radiator cap and something (probably oil) was cooking off the exhaust manifold.

Owner needed to leave about then. Recommended he replace the battery and the radiator cap; then do the idle reset procedure as a first step to see if that fixes the surging. I suspect the brakes need some work after sitting for that long.

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Owner said it was spitting oil out everywhere, so he kept adding some. I'm not sure I followed the logic. He admitted he doesn't do a lot of his own work. I didn't want to dwell too much on how it got there - just trying to get it running. When we first talked about it, he asked if I wanted to buy it - but I wanted to first figure out if there was something major wrong with it. If we get it running correctly and he keeps it, that's fine. I just hated to see it sitting there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the engine ran with that much excess oil in it, there could be some blown seals. This may not have damaged the engine but it could be a very expensive repair for the labor involved in replacing seals. Be safe and have a professional mechanic look at it who knows about Honda engines.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There were some drips toward the back after shutting the engine down. It was hard to tell where it was coming from; may still have been oil from draining it (messy when you're trying to put the plug back in while oil is still pouring out). I cautiously used brake cleaner (yeah, on a hot engine) to try to clean some of the oil off the back of the engine, but needed to leave before I could figure out where the leak was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts