Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased a used set of Honda Element OEM Side Steps, and the new package of various specialty bolts, nuts, and washers. But before I install I want to repair some rust damage and repaint the side steps.
Does anyone have any advice on removing the screws that keep on the black plastic steps? I've soaked in rust-penetrating WD-40 and they now turn - but all but one just turns in place. The threads never 'catch' and start backing out.
How can I remove these (without drilling them out and completely replacing them)?
Also, the plastic caps on either end are screwed on tight. These screws won't budge at all.
Advice?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I had the same problem. I used a hole saw to cut the back out big enough to get needle nose vise grips in there. I then replaced with stainless hardware and used plastic plugs to close holes in bottom. The end caps I didn't have trouble with. I painted mine to match the rails though so maybe you can leave them on?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If I remember correctly, the screws go into some pretty flimsy nut serts. The screw probably seizes inside and just spins the nut sert out when you try to turn it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts