Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hope all is well. I just bought an '06 element AWD, EX, with just a little over 200,000 miles on her. She is in beautiful condition and was obviously well take care of. I just installed new struts on all 4 corners, engine mounts, and read diff mount, tune-up, oil change, etc.
I notice that when I'm in reverse, if it give the gas quickly, a ratcheting or grinding noise happens, doesnt happen in forward. It has a strong transmission and shifts well. The sound comes from under the floor on the passenger side, or so it seems.

Any idea what this might be?? I was thinking maybe the AWL diff????

Any help will be appreciated.
thanks Ron

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,772 Posts
Put it up on four jackstands so you can spin the wheels and listen (and look) from underneath. Could be lots of things: drive shaft, dual clutch system, differential, rear axles, bearings, brakes, ... Does the ratcheting sound follow engine speed or vehicle speed? Continuous in reverse, or only when first starting to move?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I experimented a little this morning and i think i know what it is. I put two new motor mounts on it this week and it started right after that. I believe that since the motor is solidly mounted now, that the AWD differential is making the noise, since the motor and drive train doesn't have that slack in it anymore. The diff is having to take all of the torque now . It only does it when I put it under a load in reverse, doesn't do it in forward.

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,772 Posts
When you say rear differential, are you talking about the rear of the engine/transmission, or the actual mounts for the rear differential? At 200,000 miles, I'd take a good look at the other engine/transmission mounts (left, right, and rear left).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Something to check for before going to larger problems, I had the same thing going on with mine last year, Only in reverse. Jacked it up and turned the rear wheels and It sounded like it was coming from the rear differential. Took it to my trusted mechanic (who sadly just retired), turns out that the sound was transferring and it was actually the emergency brake had some build up and needed to be cleaned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts