Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove briefly on the stock Goodyear Wrangler HP (garbage tires). Swapped those out to the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred (stock 16" size). After a few thousand miles on them, I sold them to get 18" Bridgestone Dueler Alenza in 235/55/18. I loved them (see my review of them here)
After wearing the Dueler Alenza down enough to make driving in snow mediocre, I decided to spring for the Nokian WRG2 SUV tires.

So... onto the review (Part I)

Miles driven: 900

Tire Size: 235/55/18
As with the Dueler Alenza, they're only about 0.5 mph off (faster) than the speedo reads. This is confirmed on my GPS. When speedo is at 40, GPS bounces between 40 and 41. When speedo is at 60, GPS bounces between 60 and 61. Can't complain too much about that, and I am more accurate with more sidewall protection than 235-50-18.

Dry: They feel a bit "squishier" than the Alenzas, but not by much. Initially I inflated them to 32 Psi, but after 100 miles I bumped that up to 36 all around. This did reduce the "squishiness", but they still don't feel as solid as the Alenza (as far as I can remember). Still, dry traction is ONLY SLIGHTLY less than the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, but again it's not by much. \

Wet: Great grip, as I've been through some sprinkles and slick roads. No heavy downpours just yet, but I can already see how these tires perform better than the Alenzas in rain. It's not a huge improvement over the Dueler Alenza in wet, but it is somewhat noticeable.

Noise: Quieter than all the tires I've tried previously. They also ride really smooth (probably why they feel so squishy compared to the Alenza). My volume is 1 click lower than when I had the Alenzas on, and the Goodyear tires I had were noisy (even the Triple Tred) compared to these.

Notes: These test results are coming in during the winter. Temps I've driven them in ranged from mid teens to mid 30's. So, I'll have to reserve my summer driving impressions and downpours till when the weather get warmer. As far as snow, I haven't driven them in snow, yet. We have a storm rolling through tonight, and I'll give it a few snow days till I lay our my review on snow/ice traction. the squishy feeling I report about isn't a major issue. It's just compared to the Alenzas. In all honesty, they're still more solid (IMO) than the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred tires.

Overall, I highly recommend these tires for our car at this point. They're performing SOLIDLY, look great, and are quiet and comfortable. Will update with more parts to this review as I accumulate more miles out of them.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Another convert!

I knew this would happen. I had the triple treads on mine for a short time. I was unable to put up with the noise and the poor traction they provided. I'm still waiting for the Foterra's to self destruct. then I'll also go with the Nokian WR G2's. The set of Nokians on the wifes E are outstanding in snow after 3 years and 30,000 miles. They look like the they have another 20,000 still on them. She just loves them. So do I !! It looks like we have just over 6 or 7 inches of snow today, so your snow test can start.

Have fun, stay safe !

Dom

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got 6-7 inches? Boston barely got an inch! I was looking forward to driving around in some fluff, but that never even happened.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boston didn't get blasted. It was melting on the ground until about 5pm. So, we really only got 1" or so of snow. LAME! I was looking forward to some real snow tests, too!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, all our snow is practically melted (don't know about the other parts of Mass, but Boston doesn't look like its normal winter-self). I wish we had your snow, right now. My dog's been wondering "what gives with the weak winter? Bring on the blizzards." One big early storm with a foot, and nothing major since. Too bad they've all been around the mid-Atlantic. Last year we had a loads of snow, and this year... **shrug**

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got mine from a Nokian dealer for around $990 installed, lifetime rotation, roadhazard, etc. Worth it! The price to pay for 18" wheels

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got mine from a Nokian dealer for around $990 installed, lifetime rotation, roadhazard, etc. Worth it! The price to pay for 18" wheels
Your E looks awesome with the 18's. This review is exactly what I was looking for.

What rims do you have?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am off today to get my Nokian WRG2 suv tires installed today. I was quoted $660 for 225/70/16 plus tax. I will give a nice review on them when I get back this afternoon. I have a nice long 2k mile road trip coming up next week and will really have a chance to give a full report after that.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Okay, I am back!!! WOW!!!! I can't believe what I have been missing.

Very nice tire. or should I say tyre. Very smooth and quiet, way more so than my Firestone Destination LE. Road feel is much more precise and I feel more stable at highway speeds, even up to 85 mph. (did not go past that point just because I had no need to.) I can actually hear the engine noise over the tires unlike before. I will update this as I log some miles in poor weather. Today was upper 80's and sunny. I did get to drive home over a distance of some 75 miles.

I am officially a Nokian WRG2 fanboy:oops:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Okay, I am back!!! WOW!!!! I can't believe what I have been missing.

Very nice tire. or should I say tyre. Very smooth and quiet, way more so than my Firestone Destination LE. Road feel is much more precise and I feel more stable at highway speeds, even up to 85 mph. (did not go past that point just because I had no need to.) I can actually hear the engine noise over the tires unlike before. I will update this as I log some miles in poor weather. Today was upper 80's and sunny. I did get to drive home over a distance of some 75 miles.

I am officially a Nokian WRG2 fanboy:oops:
We tried to tell you...:roll: :lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 62 Posts