Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I saw some Rhino Liner on the front of a pickup. I must say it looked great. It got me thinking, what If I were to Rhino line the exterior body panels. I have a quote of $300 if I take them off. I wonder...

Weight - would a panel with Rhino on it be too heavy and warp or something?

You can get about any color. I was thinking a forest green (dark) to contrast with the GG on my E. I might even do the front and rear bumpers.

The only bad part is it has to be sprayed. I have seen these roll on kits for bedliners. However, I do not know if the quality is good and if you can get colors.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would be interested to see what it looks like, but what would be the benefit?

I love the way the panels look now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i would be very interested in that too.
the benefit would be durability. that rhino liner stuff is seriously tough.
now i'm very interested.
go get this done asap and post pictures.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benefit...tough and I think the texture would look cool. Also it can be colored so you could create some nice contrast.

Only thing is I wish I had a service manual to figure out how to pop all of the panels and bumpers. If you bring in the parts it is about $200 for them to spray. Pretty cheap I think.

·
Registered
299 Posts
FWIW, I had my truck bed Rhino lined when I got it in January 96, and just sold the truck Monday after I picked up the E. Yes it's very tough, and does what it's supposed to do very well, protect the bed, but it didn't look so good after 7 1/2 years of not very hard use. The finish was very dull, and if you look closely you would have noticed that it had worn slightly because there were a lot of small holes, like there were small bubbles right below the surface and over the years it wore away to open up those bubbles. It was still thick and protected very well though.

I'm just thinking that it will look great on an E for a couple of years, then be very dull, especially the front of the car where it will get the most wear.

I'm all for the colors though, I have a GG also and think a darker green would look great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SuperJett,

Good info. That stuff is sprayed on so it may indeed be little bubbles. I wish there was a way to brush it on. Would save all the masking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is awesome, I was just thinking the same thing and tripped on this thread, I want to rhino line or bedline my exo plastics, but my reasons, other then awd, is that, I like the textured look they have now, but want all of the plastic to match color, like the black that the mirrors and middle plastics are, *(I don't really want to rihno line thowes) but just the plastics that are grey and or faded, and that thing in the grill, lolz, but I'm making some textured polyethylene black mudflaps, idk, want to darken everything the same , but I'm a man of function, so the liner would be protective. And add to the skid plate I'm making for the front :) any recommendations on spray,or rattle can, dip, diy, ? If it's like a light grit just for the texture would nail it

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
My son did this same thing to parts of his Xterra and want to pass on a couple of experience tips - the "finish" can be VERY rough, depending on how it was applied (he did it himself). If you apply it yourself (VERY easy to do with the proper prep), use a low or no nap roller, you will get a MUCH smoother finish. Also apply a couple of good coats, letting them dry thoroughly in between. He used the thick napped roller the kit came with (Herculiner), and constantly caught his clothes on it. The paint also started to show through after a short amount of time (6 months or so) and had to re-apply. He also said that the finish "sheen" can be re-vitalized using ****-and-Span cleaner (I'm sure there are others that work). :razz:
Hope this info helps give you long lasting, good looking, protection!! :)

·
Registered
477 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an ex-p but have been considering doing this to the unpainted parts, the bumpers, grille, and side skirts. Just afraid it may not hold well on plastic. Anybody have long term reviews?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i'm doing all the cladding with Raptor Liner, you can roll it on
or spray it on. so far i've done the rear tailgate, bumper garnish,
and rocker panels on both sides. it looks good and is incredibly
tough !

it takes 4 liters to do all the cladding and the kit is $100 from
Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CKE7...xw&pd_rd_r=TRK5ZC2Q4JCY0F4Z6ZS0&pd_rd_w=vniiZ
+1 for raptor. They sell tintable kits too. You tint with automotive basecoat. This stuff is tuff. We use it at work under whole cars, inside cars, trailers, wheels, roll cages, you name it. I’ve never rolled it but it seems to work good from the pics. If it’s over plastic it needs to be prepped correctly. It will peel off raw plastic eventually. Only example on phone is this 56 Chevy I did a while back. Lots o prep and some epoxy primer that the raptor can for a chemical bond with. The next day I tried gouging, pickin and scraping at the edges and I couldn’t get it to lift. Pretty great stuff for a fraction of the cost of “rhino liner” I’ll say rhino liner is harder but I’ve seen it fail (peel/chip) plenty of times. Often due to improper prep I’m sure.

Also, beware of stuff that comes out of cans. It’s not an activated product (which means thinner will remove it) and it has no UV protection (which means it will fade)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
So I have an 05 and I like the EX-P look better. I went to a good body shop today (I have used the before) for a quote to paint match all my plastic quarter panels, bumper, and rear tailgate to make it look like an EX-P. He basically does not want to do it. He claims it would be like $1800 to paint, and another $1000 to prep - all the plastic parts- sanding it and priming them.
Thinks guy has always given me more than reasonable quotes before. He said another option would be buying the parts aftermarket. All the EX-P panels for the 07 are discontinued by Honda. I am not really a fan of aftermarket versus OEM, but I looked today and I could only find the 03-06 panels that come textured, not primed, which I assume is what he was looking for.
He assumed my current panels were already textured,but I told them that they were painted a black color. Over time, the original black color has faded, I have restored it with mothers back to black product, and it looks great for a while until it rains, or gets dust on it.
So he recommended a wrap to match the color. I don't want a wrap. I suggested the rhino like paint like I have seen on Jeeps, or FJs, but he claimed the paint can be pretty rough. I am curious about this raptor paint which looks less rough, but I would like to see it other that the plain black color on the E. Has anyone tried a different color for the raptor paint, like matching it to the whole vehicle color?

·
Registered
8 Posts
paint matching is tough.
like said earlier in thread its less rough looking if you spray it on.

if you remove the panels and just clean them well and spray with a type of liner. it will save you alot of $ and it wont take much time

yes you can order different colored liners

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.