Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I recently picked up a kiwi 06 Element EX-P, and it only came with one key. I did a quick search and saw that some people have been using the Ridgeline all in one key (35111-SHJ-305), so I picked one up. I should have done some more research (looks like everyone that did this had an 07 up), because it doesn't work. I was able to program the remote to the door locks, and Honda cut the key, but they weren't able to program it to the car. I guess 2006 Elements have a different key part number than 07 up, so I guess 06 is the odd ball year... Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what my options are at this point.

1. Get a 2006 element key, cut it open, and transplant the chip into the Ridgeline key. (I can't seem to find that part # on any Honda part sites)

2. Get a bypass module used in remote start installs, and bypass the immobilizer all together.

I'm open to suggestions... Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just bypass the immobilizer, the theft rate on Elements is really low. There have been a few members here who have had their E's stolen but you shouldn't have a problem unless you live in an area that's prone to theft. Regardless, that's what insurance is for.

If you need the part # for an 06 Element key, just call your friendly Honda dealer and ask them.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
buy a valet key for the 2006 E and either use the chip from that, or hide that key near the ignition switch.
if you're going to hide it, don't bother getting it cut for the ignition.
then use a hack saw to remove the key shank so that it's easier to hide.
or, if you don't want to hide it, smooth out the remaining part and put it on your key chain w/ the RL key you use in the ignition.

of course, you'd have to get the vehicle programmed to accept the new key stub. so this isn't a low cost option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All

Sorry to resurrect this post but I am afraid I find myself in the exact same position. A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing. I also have purchased the Ridgeline key for my 2006 E. Considering I had to pay the programming charge even though the dealer couldn't get the key to work I would say it's the most expensive key fob ever.

I was hoping to verify a couple things. First, I guess to get the chip out of one of my existing keys I just have to cut up key handle any suggestion on the best way to do this. Second, when I was at the dealer I spoke to the technician that attempted to program my Ridgeline key and he indicated that the connection from the chip to the imobilizer was via the key itself. But judging from some of the solutions I see in this chain I get the feeling the chip just has to be in the proximity of the switch. Can anyone verify this ?

Thanks in advance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts