Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called a couple insurance companies and they told me the Honda Element has a high collision rating. Im an 18 year old male with a G2 license, my brother (young driver, G2) pays $2500/year for his Nissan Pathfinder which is a similar vehicle in size. For my quote on the element, it was $5000 dollars a year!!!!!!!! Five Thousand!!!!!! That is rediculous and a deal breaker for me, anyone else find a company with lower rates on the E's? Is this why they stopped making them? It seemed too good to be true, i guess it was.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's pretty crazy. I only pay 58 a month for my element and its the SC model too. How is your driving record?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is with a perfect driving record, the collision rating is supposively too high. Such a bumer, seems like a perfect car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to give a heads up to all canadians buying a honda element, in our communist regime the insurances prices are waay overpriced. The dealer will not warn you about these outrageous premiums on such a standard (seeming) SUV, i encourage you to check your premiums before you buy it like i should have done. Go USA!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have maximum discount and my insurance is 136/mo. In BC we have 1 major provincial motor insurance company. There are others but they aren't worth it, from what I've read.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am in Manitoba Canada - with a clean driving record I only pay about $110/month (below average). I don't know where the heck you're getting your quote from, but holy crap!

A "high collision rating" doesn't really make sense, does it?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Sounds like it's time to move. Back up the house in the Element and hit the road.

<---34 years old, married, 08 EX, full coverage, $100 deductible, 06 Toyota Corolla, full coverage, $100 deductible, $50,000 renter's insurance........drum roll please..............<$100/month :p

·
12,178 Posts
Having a clean record is irrelevant at your age. You are in a high risk group and if you live in or near Toronto you get a double whammy.

I get penalized for driving into Toronto everyday for work. I am 44, married and have a kid. No accidents against me in 28 years of driving. I still pay $2200/year.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Having a clean record is irrelevant at your age. You are in a high risk group and if you live in or near Toronto you get a double whammy.

I get penalized for driving into Toronto everyday for work. I am 44, married and have a kid. No accidents against me in 28 years of driving. I still pay $2200/year.
Wait, so in Canada your insurance rates depend on WHERE YOU DRIVE, not where you live?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Ontario, Canada insurance does factor in the area you live, mileage you drive and distribution for work/pleasure/business purposes.

The area you reside is dependent on the number of claims, accidents, break ins and amount being claimed in the area.

I recalled shopping around and for a VW Jetta, Mercedes B200, CRV and Element they were around the same ballpark price.

Do you have out of town friends and relatives. Postal codes outside of Cities are WAY cheaper. Tag it along with an experienced driver should also lower premiums and look for insurance companies that u have corporate/professional/alumni affiliations. More importantly SHOP around!

When I got my first car at 23, it was $4700/year. Now it's $1900.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
so glad i dont live in canada.
I looked at parts of Philly and the premiums are similar too $1700.... One difference, in the US the highest liability offered is $300k while in Canada it's $1m and up.

And in cities increased collisions, higher claims and insurance fraud jack prices up

·
12,178 Posts
I could have a lower premium at the expense of higher deductables

My current deductibles are $500 for collision and $300 for comp. I know a lot of people with $1000 deductible for both.

$1000 is still better than the $5000 deductible on my company car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts