Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Searched but can't find this topic, other than Dog Kit discussions. Apologies if I repeat.

I have a (new to me) 2010 Element and a 95 lb, long-haired German Shepherd who likes to ride with me. We have a couple of issues that I am sure aren't unique!

The Dog Friendly Kit/crate won't work for us. She's too big for the soft-sided crate, and after seeing a photo of an Element post-rearending accident, I don't feel safe riding with her behind the second row seats at all.

Seat harnesses don't fit her (she's big and fluffy) and she's almost too big to be comfy for long on the second row seats.

I plan to put "up" the second row seats, and put a large, hard-sided crate in the space for her, which will probably take up most of the cargo space. Then she can ride behind me and in the crate.

Has anyone done this with their Element/dog?

Do any dog owners have any creative solutions to suggest for riding safely with a very big dog?

·
Registered
104 Posts
welcome

Welcome to the club! I don't have any experience putting the crate in, but I'm sure it would work fine. In fact, there are anchor points near the floor you could use to anchor the crate inside to be safer.

Your dog will love the E! This is why we got one:

·
Registered
22 Posts
When traveling with our Newfoundlands (150lbs each) we use 42" wire frame dog crates. You can fit 2 crates in the E but it requires 3 door crates, the seats out and NOTHING else fits.

Since you just have 1 dog, I would recommend a single 42" crate. Keeps the dog secure and gives lots of airflow. You can fit the single crate with the seats folded up. The dog enters and exits over the tailgate.

Our record in the E is five adult male Newfies. All laying down in the back, you couldn't even see the floor :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
With carrying the Saints I fold up a X pen and tie it to the back of the front seats as I don't want one driving and fold up the seats and they have the back.
A 700 series wire crate also fits in there great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have a newfie-retriever cross and a Great Pyr and they pretty much just take over the back of the E. We took out the seats the day we bought it and they haven't been back in since. (The seats are actually 3,000 miles away right now...) We thought about crates for them since they are supposed to be safer, but most of the research I found is that it's safer for the driver, not the dogs, and our Pyr is epileptic and gets freaked out in crates, so we decided that loose in the back was a better alternative.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought a seat belt harness for my dog that rides shotgun and I can vouch for it's effectiveness as I got in a little fender bender once. Thanks to the harness she did not slam into the dash. The link below offers a harness similar to mine, I think I got mine at pet smart many years ago.

https://www.chewy.com/solvit-deluxe-car-safety-dog-harness/dp/107145?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Solvit&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl6LoBRDqARIsABllMSZ6-DN9QXdkyMwKWSIFsCDXzSifxqBZ5yGXPv84sSmM1RA4VTD3CjwaAn9TEALw_wcB

·
Registered
28 Posts
welcome

Welcome to the club! I don't have any experience putting the crate in, but I'm sure it would work fine. In fact, there are anchor points near the floor you could use to anchor the crate inside to be safer.

Your dog will love the E! This is why we got one:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts