Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(if this belongs in a different forum please feel free to move, I wasn't sure the best place to ask).

Hello all,

I'm planning a road trip in October to go to a friend's wedding up in Bellevue, near Seattle, WA. I live in Phoenix. This will be the furthest I've ever driven. I've made multiple trips to San Diego and one trip to San Fran. This is my first trip, however, with my Element (besides a day trip to Flagstaff when I first got her in '07).

I have 3 days to drive, 1 day there for the wedding, and 3 days to drive back. I'm planning on going I-10 to I-5 and up along the coast. No interest in going through Nevada, so don't try to convince me :) I figure I'd stay a night in a hotel around Sacramento, then I'd like to maybe stop in Coos Bay, then up to Seattle.

Before I get to my main question, please feel free to share comments/suggestions/whatever about my road trip and what I may encounter or where you'd advise I go. I've lived in AZ since I was 6 months old (I'm 29 - eek! - now), but hate it and need to see green or I'm going to explode.

My main question is for people who sleep/rest in their Elements. It would save me a ton of money to avoid a night or two of hotel stays. But I have no idea how that would work. Where do you park, so that you're safe? Where's it allowed? It seems awfully unsafe to sleep at a rest stop or something. And the idea of sleeping in my car in a Walmart parking lot kind of creeps me out too! Hotels are probably my best bet, but I was just curious if anyone has any advice.

Thanks all :) I'm so excited, I can't wait!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've tried to sleep in the E a long time ago and never got comfortable. You have a long drive ahead of you so I would recommend just getting a room so that you can have a good nights rest. You'll do no favor to yourself or to other drivers if you are driving and exhausted. The Element is a good cruiser. I made the move from Seattle to Atlanta just over 2 years ago but I will never do it again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I've camped comfortably inside my E for 4 years. Stayed in State Park campgrounds, private campgrounds - like KOA's, open fields at lure coursing trials and in Wal-Mart parking lots. Took out the back seats, bought the largest, thickest dog bed I could fit in the E, made it up with sheets, blankets and my pillow. Velcro'd curtains to the windows, got a 12 volt coffee pot and enjoyed the experiences so much, I'm getting an Ecamper top installed so I'll have more room to camp for longer periods of time. I never stay in a place I don't feel safe. www.koa.com shows many campgrounds between Phoenix and Seattle. Start small and see how you like it. Ecamping, unless you buy every piece of gear made - like Hiker Chick :) can definitely cost less than motels. Have fun.

(if this belongs in a different forum please feel free to move, I wasn't sure the best place to ask).

Hello all,

I'm planning a road trip in October to go to a friend's wedding up in Bellevue, near Seattle, WA. I live in Phoenix. This will be the furthest I've ever driven. I've made multiple trips to San Diego and one trip to San Fran. This is my first trip, however, with my Element (besides a day trip to Flagstaff when I first got her in '07).

I have 3 days to drive, 1 day there for the wedding, and 3 days to drive back. I'm planning on going I-10 to I-5 and up along the coast. No interest in going through Nevada, so don't try to convince me :) I figure I'd stay a night in a hotel around Sacramento, then I'd like to maybe stop in Coos Bay, then up to Seattle.

Before I get to my main question, please feel free to share comments/suggestions/whatever about my road trip and what I may encounter or where you'd advise I go. I've lived in AZ since I was 6 months old (I'm 29 - eek! - now), but hate it and need to see green or I'm going to explode.

My main question is for people who sleep/rest in their Elements. It would save me a ton of money to avoid a night or two of hotel stays. But I have no idea how that would work. Where do you park, so that you're safe? Where's it allowed? It seems awfully unsafe to sleep at a rest stop or something. And the idea of sleeping in my car in a Walmart parking lot kind of creeps me out too! Hotels are probably my best bet, but I was just curious if anyone has any advice.

Thanks all :) I'm so excited, I can't wait!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't have much to add to the questions about sleeping in your E. We haven't tried it yet, but going to the west coast meet in Kalamath, so we will be breaking her in soon! I did want to add that my partner and i live about 10 min north of Bellevue, so if you have any questions about the area up here.. let me know!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm moving to Seattle next year, including the 3400 mile drive out. Be sure to post pictures!

I usually would stay at hotels anyways. They won't call LEOs if they think you're staying in one of their rooms.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
After a long day of driving I want to take a shower and sleep in a bed. Ruffing it for me is staying in a 2 star hotel instead of a 4 star. You might want to google the trip and move the line over to sights you want to see. Don't just drive like hell. Enjoy the trip and see things. Maybe the redwoods or drive through Yosemite. Get a gps AND a map. The gps will help with finding hotels gas hospitals address etc. And the map will help getting a overall view of the trip. I find 800 miles a day is easy to do.

·
Registered
660 Posts
What are your interests? What would you like to see and do along the way?

If you're interested in historic homes I can tell you exactly where to go. :)

The two must-sees for most people are the Redwoods and the big rocks on the seachore in Oregon. Can't remember exactly where the rocks are but there's a few roadside 'viewpoints' along the way. Have a pleasant trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts