Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am traveling around the country in my E to rock climb. Last week, my engine went and had to be replaced at just 80k. I knew the previous owner had left it as a lawn ornament in a seaside town for a bit, guess it must have been a long while. Poor girl.

Anyway, I got it back and was being paranoid. Checked the oil, added some. Drove 2 miles. In retrospect, I wasn't on a level surface. It sat overnight, in the morning I realized this and that I had overfilled it by like 2 quarts! I emptied out the extra oil. Now it's leaking pretty consistently. I'm wondering - what would be the most likely source of the leak after overfilling? Any ideas?

I'm on the road and can't really work on it anywhere anyway, but the cost of the engine totally made a major dent in my road trip fund, i'm afraid to take it to another shop. Looking into a do it yourself garage somewhere.

No smoke coming from tailpipe, just drove a couple hundred miles and engine is still fine. Stopping every now and then to check the oil level - which doesn't seem to be changing even though it's leaking.

:060:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Where approximately is the leak coming from? What I mean is where do you see it on the ground? Drivers side, passenger side, nearer the front or further back toward the firewall? Do you smell oil burning?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out...

I was able to get it up on a lift and looked at. Turns out it's the front crankshaft seal, timing cover gasket, and valve cover gasket. I'm going to attempt to do the work myself this week since i'm at a friend's place with tools. If I fail he'll return on Saturday and can help me. If anyone has experience replacing any of these seals, please send me advice! Thank you!

·
Registered
117 Posts
timing cover is just RTV silicone, and get the crank seal from Honda. this will take at least a few hours to remove, clean, and reseal with silicone.
Its not a difficult job but just takes time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts