Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. A friend and I are heading on a road trip this summer. We're leaving central Illinois and going to glacier national park, Montana. Then to portland, and then off to Humboldt redwood forest. So I am wondering if anyone has any good ideas or tips for a long road trip. And are there any roads or sites that are a must see in the Northwest? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Since you are headed to Humboldt county, check out Fern Canyon in Trinidad. It is an awesome day hike through the redwoods, down a riverbed and into the canyon that then opens onto the beach. Or you can do the 5 minute hike version and drive to the mouth and walk into the canyon, but for me, spending time with those awesome trees is where it's at. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oregon Caves National Monument, just south of Grants Pass, OR. Well worth the drive up narrow road. Go early in the day, or be prepared to wait for your cave tour. Jedidiah Smith State Park- probably one of the most scenic campgrounds in all of CA. But you either have to book your campsite now or get there at 8am to snag one of the few first-come-first-serve sites.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Simple

Get yourself a National Park and fed lands annual pass: http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

Play connect-the-dots and visit as many of those sites as you can. Crater Lake is another don't-miss-this stop and one of my personal faves.

(Disclaimer, I work for USNPS.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I84

Don't miss I84 thru the Columbia River Gorge

The Vista House around the 23 mile marker is a must see too

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm jealous!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lytepipe, fern canyon looks really cool. That might be a must stop. I think the redwoods will be the best part of the trip. I'm also stoked about the Columbia river gorge. The pics look amazing. Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lytepipe, fern canyon looks really cool. That might be a must stop. I think the redwoods will be the best part of the trip. I'm also stoked about the Columbia river gorge. The pics look amazing. Thanks for the ideas
Cool! You won't be disappointed in Fern Canyon. The gorge is pretty amazing too. While you are out there check out Sam Hill's Stonehenge. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM18AB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts