Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just giving a shout out and looking for suggestions on a place to stop for dinner on our drive to Toronto this Thursday for my cousins wedding. We will be coming through Detroit and plan on stopping in London for the night. We are taking the kids to the Lion Safari on Friday morning before checking in to our hotel in the city. The rehearsal dinner is supposed to be on one of the islands but as of now things are kind of up in the air with the strike:-(

We had been told of some good restaurants in Windsor and Spago is the only one I can remember. I can't seem to find much info on the web about the place except that they have two restaurants in Windsor, the Restaurante and the Pizzeria. We will have our two kids one is 5 and the other is 2.5. If any body has any good suggestions for someplace good and not too pricey for an easy dinner stop let me know.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Here in the Metro Detroit area...

If you go downtown into Greektown, look for the Cypress Taverna. I don't recall if they have kid-friendly fare or not.
579 Monroe St
Detroit, MI 48226-2932, United States
(313) 961-1550
- cyprustaverna.com‎

A good all-around decent restaurant that's not a lot of money and has a pretty wide-ranging menu
Pete's Place12245 Telegraph Rd
Taylor, MI 48180-4057, United States
(734) 374-0088
- petesplacerestaurant.com‎

There's a good Italian place right near my apartment, although it might be a bit pricey with the kids...
Amantea
32777 Warren Rd
Garden City, MI 48135-1639, United States
(734) 421-1510
- amanteaa.com‎

Cheli's Chili Bar (don't worry, it's a wide-range menu)
47 E Adams Ave
Detroit, MI 48226-1602, United States
(313) 961-1700
- chelischilibar.com‎

Oh, and there's Buddy's Pizza. It's perpetually rated one of the best in the area...
22148 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48124-2205, United States
(313) 562-5900
- buddyspizza.com‎

There are also a couple of good Chinese restaurants in my area, though I don't know how that'd fly with kids. If you like, I'll dig up the info for you.

Does that help?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated. I will look into those places and see where things are compared to our route. I was thinking about taking the tunnel just for the kids sake and that would dump us into Windsor.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Much appreciated. I will look into those places and see where things are compared to our route. I was thinking about taking the tunnel just for the kids sake and that would dump us into Windsor.
Most of those wouldn't be a horrible derivation from your theoretically direct route (up I-75?), especially since I-75 is still under construction in some spots downriver.

Definitely take either the tunnel or the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron. The Tunnel is neat, but be ready for a long, well-patrolled, really boring stretch on the 401 from Windsor to London

I-96 and the approach to the Ambassador Bridge are torn up for construction, the Tunnel is cheaper, and there's about half the wait time at the Tunnel. You might also consider taking either Telegraph (US 24) north to I-94 or I-275 up to I-94, since I-75 still might be closed in spots. I'm not sure, though, since I haven't been through there in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very cool! Thanks for the heads up on the construction. I will check the route a little closer and compare it to your info. Not too worried about speeding but more concerned with traffic and construction delays.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Dang...too bad

Gonna miss ya altogether!

We are leaving (very) early Thursday morning, and going south to Harper's Ferry WVA
But we are crossing at Lewiston (Niagara)

Wish I'd have know you were coming....would have advised not to cross at Windsor, due to all the construction...lol
too late now....

have a look at this thread to see if they are still doing anything...
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55859
and check out the summerlicious web site too....

Kinda hard not to get a decent restaurant in Toronto...it all depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend...Toronto is a world class city, and you get just about anything you want.

btw...you do know that this weekend is Gay Pride, right?? This is the largest GP parade in the world! I'm not kidding...almost 2 million ppl last year, and the event goes on for 10 days, ending with the parade, which is this coming weekend...

Have fun driving downtown Toronto this wekend....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew I should have posted this earlier. We made plans already to to stay in London because of a really good deal at the Hampton Inn($30 Canadian). We took the Niagara route last time and thought we would change it up a bit this time.

Is the construction really that bad? To take the tunnel Google says to exit I75 at exit 47a. If the construction really is that bad we will come home the other route.

We will be staying at the Royal York so I am sure we will be in the thick of things for the festivities. At least it will be a colorful trip to ole Toronto.

Pretty much all of the dinners will be with the family at restaurants and wedding events. We plan on hitting some easy cafe style places for lunch. Gotta take the kids to Centerville! I used to go there when I was their age with my cousins.

It would have been nice to go to the meet in Harpers Ferry but family comes first. Sorry I will miss you guys. Maybe we will pass on the way home.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I'm sorry you may have a real ringer thrown into your holiday this time....

Downtown is definitely going to be 'colourful'....and at least the kids are young enough to take it all in stride....

you'll just need loads of more patience than usual...

Centreville will be out of the question....not only are the ferry's not running, but all the park employees are union as well (city attraction)...they still haven't figured out what they are doing with anything...since the strike by city employees just started yesterday...but the impression we are getting on the radio is that they are just shutting down everything, then seeing what they can get going....

http://www.torontosun.com/
The Toronto Sun updates regularly during the day, so it couldn't hurt to keep an eye on it...there are also a couple of links to the city in one of the stories...

I haven't lived in Toronto for over 25 years, but have been in the 905 for many of those years...I just don't think I've moved far enough away yet....lol

When are you going back? We are coming home (again thru Niagara (Lewiston) Monday night...
I always make it a point of crossing the border after midnight....but before 5 am....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeah, um, no... DO NOT LISTEN TO TEH GOOGLE ABOUT THE BORDER CROSSING!

MDOT is saying that I-75 is supposed to open July 1. Realistically, depending upon when you're coming though, trying to take I-75 is going to be dicing it. I would advise to either check MDOT's website (www.michigan.gov/mdot) like as you're leaving, or just avoid I-75 through the downriver area entirely. I-96, which is the last bit of the run-up to the Ambassador Bridge, is nightmarishly torn up (and besides, the Ambassador always has a huge line and is more expensive).

If you're coming up I-75, exit either onto the connector to Telegraph Road (US 24) and take it up to I-94, or if you're scared of surface streets there's the long way of exiting onto I-275 and taking that to I-94.

Follow I-94 East and either exit onto the Lodge South (M-10 Downtown) if you want to take the Tunnel, or follow I-94 to Port Huron and take the Blue Water Bridge into Sarnia. Both will take about the same amount of time and the same amount of mileage to do.

If you opt for the Tunnel, follow the Lodge until it curves around and emerges from under Cobo center and becomes Jefferson Street. Go four blocks (short blocks, don't know how many lights), and keep your eyes peeled for small green-fonted signs for the Tunnel to Canada. You'll take a right and the Tunnel's right there.

And yeah, Toronto Pride is this weekend. I'll be there enjoying the festivities, but I'm fairly certain that any hapless schlep that winds up there unknowingly is going to pretty much be stuck fighting crowds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Windsor Eats

Hi,
When I talk to Windsor-ites they always rave about their pizza. I have been there a few times and a former boyfriend took me to one place that I thought was Tunnel Pizza but I couldn't find anything with that name. I am probably confused with Tunnel BBQ http://tunnelbarbq.com/ .

I found this article :
http://www.foodtv.ca/blog/archive/2007/09/13/guest-blogger-windsor-pizza.aspx
That talk about the best places and I'm sure at least one of them are probably close to your route.

Good luck on your trip - with the garbage strike and the Gay Pride Parade drawing in hundreds of thousands you will certainly have a colourful (if not odorific) time !

~Annie

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do really appreciate everyone with the info on the construction and the info on the strike. We will look into the mdot info closely to plan our route best.

My cousin is still trying to find a back up location for the rehearsal dinner. Crazy times. We can get to the Island via private taxi apparently but the food service portion may be in jeopardy.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
FYI Both Toronto and Windsor are having a municipal workers strike.... so no garbage collection etc etc...... Toronto Day 3 and Windsor Week 10..... i wonder if its actually smelly now in Windsor....perhaps someone local/nearby can advise that - definitely avoid eating there

Toronto is having a Pride Day parade this weekend, so expect downtown road closures. Also parks & ferries, garbage bins are closed up..... we are staying at home GARDENING in TORONTO

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
since toronto and windsor is on strike... time to grab a couple beers and wait it out.......... wait, LCBO's on strike too!! :-x:-x

time to work on the E then...

·
Registered
188 Posts
since toronto and windsor is on strike... time to grab a couple beers and wait it out.......... wait, LCBO's on strike too!! :-x:-x

time to work on the E then...
LCBO is still talking , and beer is cheaper and more brands at the Brewers Retail ... so we can drown our collective sorrows over the messy parks and garbage while the best party of the year rages on in TO... regardless of your orientation , it is a hoot in downtown during Pride Week ... :D;-):) PFLAG

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you believe the nerve of my cousin to plan her wedding during this weekend, not only do I end up missing the Harpers Ferry meet, she planned it during the garbage strike!?!?

Thank you all for the big heads up. Our dinner plans have some what changed for the drive up. We are just going to find something on the fly. With construction and possible delays it will be too hard to plan on a certain destination at any time in particular. When the kids are hungry they have to eat for some unknown reason.

I think we will still plan on taking the tunnel just for the kids sake. I just hope they are awake when we go through it.:rolleyes:

I will let you guys know how the trip goes when we get back.

Oh, is the CN Tower still open?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts