Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing for another long road trip.
This one, I'll cross 7 states. I can't be more excited:)
I thought I'd put together a list of my favorite road trip things, in honor of Hiker Chicks Camping thread.

1. Watching the terrain change over the miles
2. Losing the radio staion...it's just another sign of how far youve traveled.
3. Feeling the climate change
4. Truck Stops with all you can eat buffets
5. Small hole in the wall cafe's for a relaxing breakfast or lunch
6. Visiting an attraction youve always wanted to see.
7. Counting how many different license plates you see
8. Time zones
9. Welcome Centers, they have free snacks and maps:D
10. Different kinds of snacks in the vending machines
11. Rest Stops, theyre full of travelers just like you.
12. Coming home...

As you can see I'm easily pleased.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
You've certainly covered a lot of the appeal, JoJo. Great thread!

I'll add:

• meeting new people
  • freedom (from schedules, meetings, conference calls...)
  • exploring
I think exploration is a basic human need, as a civilization and as individuals. Even though TV, films and the Internet can bring the images and sounds to us, it's not the same -- not by a long shot -- of going there in person.

And the key to a roadtrip is that it is not just the destination, it is the journey. Every American has got to do a cross-country trip. Atlantic to Pacific and vice versa. The terrain unfolds before you in a way it does not from an airplane, you hear the changing accents, feel the magnitude of this nation and see the magnificent diversity of it.

It's incredible really that you can drive across the entire nation in a few days. You won't see all that you should and you'd be exhausted but it's still a great experience.

I'm not going anywhere this weekend. Blech.

:cool:

·
Registered
895 Posts
I know this is cheesy, but before the iPod, mix tapes and CD's for your road trip.

·
Registered
263 Posts
X2

I love getting ready almost as much as I enjoy the trip.

I love the good conversations that take place after hours upon hours on the road.

I love meeting new people

and of course there is seeing new sights.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I know this is cheesy, but before the iPod, mix tapes and CD's for your road trip.
Maybe it's my 'advanced' age, but I refuse to get an ipod, and rely on my collection of road tapes...
Although I have made one concession, and they're all on cd's now...lol

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks Jojo- that made me smile! I do miss just being able to get in the car and go and stop wherever I want . . . now with little ones there seems to be so much more planning involved.

Someday, someday . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
549 Posts
JoJo...look out for Zombies!!! Have fun....

·
Registered
57 Posts
My road trip must haves:

- Good tunes

- fishin pole & hiking stick (I'll either be driving to do one of those, or if I'm not, in case I see a good spot to hike or throw a line)

- My GPS (not a TomTom or other vehicular nav, but a Magellan handheld)- not for telling me where to go, hell no! but only for telling me where I am at the time - I'll find the way.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would add

- seeing critters you don't normally see in your hometown (a good trip is marked by a good critter sighting)

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you have satellite radio active then you don't have to worry about the mix tapes, having to find new stations, etc! :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've always had the problem of meandering away for hours...or days...down backroads mile after mile.

When single, I was notorious for taking only state highways and even the little gray dashed lines on maps that may or may not be maintained dirt roads and adding hours to a trip.

As Pope mentioned, now with little ones, it's all about their needs. I'll take the trade but I do long for those times still.

Tim, we need to get you even a small old MP3 player. You can do everything you want for self mixed tapes/CDs in a fraction of the time and do more with them. WIth the E, my kids and I tear down the commute trail daily with both my phone and old Zune playing all kinds of stuff simply plugged into the AUX port.

Jojo...I tip my hat to you as you head out...with a wink and a nod for safe travels. Let the world come to you, girl.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
We're off on a 7 day road trip on Sunday.

The E is only taking us a couple of hundred miles, east, after that the real trip begins in Rossland!

Our itinerary takes us 70 to 80 km per day on average, down into Washington and along the Boundary country.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Elaine has an Ipod and a couple of MP3's....but that's mostly her music....
We also have a hard drive full of movies and tv shows....

To be honest, I like listening to the different music stations you come across as you travel from city to city, state to state....

It's like spinning the wheel, and seeing what comes up....talk show, road report, local stations, national stations, comedy, whatever...

We like to think of it as part of the experience....

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Roadtrippers.

We are the spirit of America.

Still enjoying CD mixes I made several years ago. Mixed tapes are in a box somewhere.

I remain i-podless.

:)
Ditto.

-g

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Thanks Jojo for reminding me of the road trips we used to take. :D

Back in 1981, MaryBeth and I took a 30 day vacation, (Navy gives you 30 days a year), in our custom made (my own doing) 1975 Dodge Van, Black with tear drop windows (that just reminded me of my teardop now!), pink (maraschino) cherry paneling, 4" rug, bed/couch, "ice box", stove and camping stuff, and headed from Virginia Beach to California. We stopped every night somewhere different, picked a spot from the camping book each night. We have so many fond memories, enough to share around a camp fire some time.

We took the northern route out there and the southern route back, once we hit San Fran., we turned around and headed back east. If you think cassettes were old, we had 8-Track and took photos developed on slides!

Oh to be young and on the road again.;-)

Bob

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest, I like listening to the different music stations you come across as you travel from city to city, state to state....

It's like spinning the wheel, and seeing what comes up....talk show, road report, local stations, national stations, comedy, whatever...

We like to think of it as part of the experience....

Exactly, theres a small town north of us that everytime we pass through we get a talk show on the radio. Theyre always talking about the bake sale the church is having, whos getting married, where the blood bank bus is, how the high school sports are doing and what time the memorial service is for the neighborhood kid that lost his life in Iraq.

You get a real "feel" for the communities as you pass through, you become involved in what they experience on a daily basis.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
And the key to a roadtrip is that it is not just the destination, it is the journey. Every American has got to do a cross-country trip.
I haven't had the urge to go cross-country until this year. I-90 starts here and ends in Boston, which is appealing. Then I saw a commercial for Hwy 50 from West Sacramento to Maryland ... hm. Maybe not next year (but maybe!) but someday I hope to do this.

I'm not sure I enjoy it per se, but I'm always amused how organized the car is when I start, and how chaotic once I get there! And I love road trip snacks. Gotta have me my light Pringles and jerky. Diet Mountain Dew is my road-trip nectar of the gods.

Re: the journey ... this one is hard for me, but I'm working on it. On a short trip (3.5 hrs) recently, I forced two long stops (more than a half-hour) and really enjoyed it. I got home much happier than when I go-go-go and don't take time to stop.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Indeed, half the fun is just getting there.

I love road trips and Element Caravans.
Traveling with a group of friends is always great fun and for some reason a whole lot less fatiguing.
Probably due to the energy and excitement that happens when you're rolling with your buds. :cool:

It's all about the route.
A 300 mile, 10 hour, Element Caravan is coming up.
Socal to Lake Tahoe for the annual EOC end of summer, 7 day camping excursion.

A road trip on US 395 N all the way up the foot hills of the eastern slopes of the Sierras.
One of California's best drives.

Two very cool Time Lapse Videos of the caravan route south from Lake Tahoe:

I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph4Tq1hdDw4&feature=related
II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uYbzCj_11E&feature=related

1 - 20 of 31 Posts