Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home from the shore on Friday afternoon. I was caught up in a little rush hour traffic outside Philly. Suddenly I see a rock fly out of the back of a cement truck in front of me, and collide with my windshield. It cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced.
I immediately had my wife grab a pen and paper and write down all the information from the truck, and I managed to snap two photos of it with my phone. Unfortunately, the truck exited to the right, and I needed to get into the far left lane right away, so I did not follow it.
After a few minutes, I was out of traffic, and called the company to report what had happened. I told the guy who answered what had happened, and he transferred my call. It went into a voicemail (I think it was the VP of the company) and I left a detailed message, with what had happened, and my contact info. It was Friday afternnoon around 4 PM, so i didn't expect anyone to call me back.
Also, I plan on calling my insurance company on Monday to report it, but I am hoping I don't have to use my own insurrance for this.
Anyone ever have this happen, or have a similar experience? I would like to hear what you think. Do I have any chance of getting this company to pay for my new windshield?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I work for a large equipment rental company and on 3 occasions in the past 4 years we have been involved in cracking windshields of cars following our large tractor trailers. According to the law in nj(not sure anywhere else) we are required to clean are trucks of all debris and any damage due to this not being done we are responsible for. This company is def at fault and should pay all damages.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Seems to me if you have all the info on the truck, the simplest thing from your point of view is to file the claim through your insuror, and let them subrogate against the concrete company. If the concrete company is legally liable, they'll settle it between themselves. Meanwhile, you just go get the new windshield, and you're out of the discussion. Why should you go through the hassle of managing the battle? That's what you pay insurance premiums for.

In most states [well, in most thinking states, anyway] windshield replacement is no-deductible, so it costs you nothing. I've probably replaced half a dozen or more windshields in the last 40 years. Fighting it out yourself just to avoid filing a claim - on the off chance it might increase your premiums - is a pointless exercise.

File the claim, go to the glass shop. You're in, you're out, they do the paperwork, you go home and fuggeddaboudit.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Do I have any chance of getting this company to pay for my new windshield?

No.
It will go through your insurance and whatever glass coverage you have.

My bonehead father last week cracked the windshield on his element while driving via a rock & never had glass coverage on his 05 element. He had to pay i think between 150-200 ish

I know for all my cars i have the geico 0$ free glass replacement.

Only stipulation on the glass coverage is that it has to have a line of over 3" i believe

·
Registered
480 Posts
One advantage dealing with the concrete company direct is that they may offer to just pay the bill at the windshield shop in lieu of an insurance claim against the company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes you should be reimbursed from the cement truck's company. If you can prove that the rock came from the truck and not the wheel. If you have pictures of the back of the truck and it shows gravel or debris on the bumpers or back of the truck - you should be reimbursed.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts