Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the rocker panel trim installed at the dealer -- and I have discovered that there is a gap on the passenger side rocker trim, in the middle of the trim, big enough to put a dime into -- very disappointing. I noticed at the car wash that the water was going UNDER the trim instead of OVER it. This isn't right is it?!

I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer to have them correct this. This was one reason I didn't want to install this trim myself -- but perhaps it would have been done better by myself after all!

Has anyone else experienced a gap in the rocker panel trim?

I don't know if this could have played a role -- but it was raining like crazy the night I picked my E up and rained the next day as well -- my guess is that they installed the Trim that same day -- and then is started to rain -- not good news for the adhesive bonding...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Too bad about your problem I hope it can be easily solved. Although the trim panel is near the bottom of the door will it still be able to protect the door from typical parking lot dings? How much did the dealer charge for installation?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Bunkers' post was made almost 3 years ago so I'm not sure if it's still a valid problem anymore. See the date or post right above the member name. The rocker panel will doubtfully provide any dent protection as it's really only a decorative feature. Hell, even the sidesteps which protrude several more inches wouldn't prevent door dings. Most car doors will hit anywhere from the middle of the door on up. Also note how the lower half of the doors where the trim sits slants inward when compared to the rest of the door contour. The trim is applied with an adhessive strip. In Bunkers' case the adhessive strip probably pulled away at the one section. A strong length of magnetic stripping would probably be a better alternative and easier to remove and reinstall.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
My brother had his lower body cladding installed in Los Angeles last July and when we drove it here to Indianapolis I noticed it was loose in the same area's on both sides. He said he noticed it too in LA but didn't have time to take it back in. The dealership also didn't install his front bumper trim correctly and Penske Honda re-did it for him and the dealership in LA put '03 side steps on his '05, which didn't put any gap between the steps and the rocker panel. Poor, poor work for a dealership. Anyway, He's going to have to have it taken off and they can either put more double stick tape on it or replace the items. Look for the first option to go into effect and it that fails the later. I do know he wants to paint the trim black since his vehicle is NBP but there is a problem painting plastic so it will stay on if and when the natural oil start to rise to the surface. Should you do it yourself I suggest a good 3M double sided tape, and some alcohol to clean the surface real good and then place it back on the car and maybe heat it up or make sure the temps are above 65 degrees. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So simple to what makes it stick...

Hello E's

It sounds so simple but its just 3M adhesive strip keeping that molding on.
Weak for $300 or so. Maybe even a lil ghetto. Drive Fun.

Worktoy

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
I applied the 'Rocker Panel Trim' about 10 days ago. Followed the HandA instructions; Temp. above 60*, cleaned the area & and used the alcohol wipes, held pressure for 30 seconds, no washing for 24 hrs. The passenger side front molding has started to show some small 'gaps' along the top. Additional pressure will 'close the gaps' but they appear again in a day or so.
(1) Is there any type of "spot repair" adhesive, or will I have to remove & REDO.
Will probably have to remove the trim, and apply new tape, and REDO the job. Might be best, because in some places the tape was not FLUSH and the molding did stick out from the door a bit (especially at the front end by the door hinge.
(2) Anyone know the best type of tape to use for a good bond?
(3) What is the best way to remove & clean the old install (don't want to do any damage)?
I like the look of the Rocker Panel Trim, especially with the 'matching' side steps, but the install method was not as professional as I would have expected from a Honda product.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The blow dryer or heat gun will allow the adhesive tape to be worked free from the paint without damage if you take your time. It's 3M tape and you can get the double stick tape just about anywhere. Take it off, clean the surface, scrap off the tape and put the new 3M tape on and go for it. One good thing to do is one in place and you might dry this before you even try to take them off, heat them up slowly with the blow dryer or heat gun and then press them down again. This may allow for a better stick.

·
Registered
310 Posts
chozn4service said:
It's 3M tape and you can get the double stick tape just about anywhere.
Yes, but 3M makes HUNDREDS of types-styles of "double-sided" tape; for appliance, construction, electronics, metal fabrication, signs, windows & doors, transportation, etc. Would like to get the RIGHT TYPE for plastic to painted metal.
I have found #CV45F & #CV62F (not available "just about anywhere"), but it is for unpainted metal for securing side metal panels to trailers. Very strong, but do not want it to remove or damage the paint if it has to come off at a later time.
I guess an email to 3M or HandA will be the next step if no one here has experience with the proper "double-sided" tape for this application.
Anyone know if auto parts stores or repair shops would carry it?

"chozn4service", Thanks, will try the "hair dryer" tip to see if it will help the CURRENT application adhere better.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I know when I had to redo my window visors I went to Walmart and picked up the red backing 3M double sided tape. I've always used it and have never had an issue with adesion or heating it up to remove it from painted surfaces. I really don't see it taking the paint with it should you have to remove it. It's gone through all weather conditions. Being here in Indianapolis, home of our AFC Champions and Super Bowl XLI representatives this year, we have extreme heat in summer months and the cold of winter. Never an adhesion failure. This tape is black, not a foam type but a black what would appear to be a vinyl type material.

Also I doube HandA would or could provide a replacement tape for you. You may go to 3M's site and search on there, or contact a local body shop supplier in your area.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks, might check out the Walmart type, I believe the window visors did have the 'red tape', but the rocker panels trim tape had a clear/white backing. Will give the 'hair blower' fix a try first, (but it is raining hard today). Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My rocker panel came apart from my car last summer. I ended up removing all the adhesive tape and replacing it with the 3M tape specifically for car molding (red backing as Chozn pointed out). It is a double stick foam tape that comes in two sizes. I think is used the 1/2 inch tape. Cost is around $5 - $7 at any auto supply store.

I used a lot of Goo Gone and 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover to clean the area on the car and rocker panel. I used my fingers to "role the tape of the car, with daps of Goo Gone and 3M remover. Cleaned the panels the same way. Re-taped the panels and replaced. I hope this helps

·
Registered
310 Posts
Poor RPT mounting

Well, the passenger side Rocker Panel Trim (RPT) finally FELL OFF. Luckily it was in the driveway, and not on the interstate last weekend.
Looks like Honda had 'changed their minds' on the original mounting, since the front door pieces, originally had a 'screw or clip mount' at the top end of each piece. Perhaps the Honda Engineers thought that 'tape alone' would not HOLD; (right the first time?). Looks like these were 'cut off' and the 'just tape' all around was their final solution. Also the tape along the bottom goes over a series of 'ribbed fins', (which decreases the surface area for the tape to stick to; but decreases overall weight).
Any suggestions to make the 'second attempt' work and HOLD better? I think I may use some type of 'filler' to fill the gaps between the 'ribbed fins' to give better surface area along the front and bottom (what would work best?). I will also smooth any 'uneven' areas along the top 'adhesion area', and may use a 'fine grit' sand paper to 'rough up' the surface. Perhaps even a layer of contact cement to the RPT BEFORE I apply the double stick 3M tape. Will make sure ALL the old tape residue is removed from the door before the 'second install'.
Any comments or suggestions, welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
ramblerdan said:
Don't know what the wx is like in Florida right now but if it's chilly, you'd do well to put the car into a warm garage overnight before applying the new tape. If not, a hair dryer could help. That stuff really likes clean, dry surfaces and warm temps.
Thanks, the first time, it was squeeky clean (alcohol wipes and all) and the temp was 60*+.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Rog, sorry about the rocker panel trim on your car. It looks like the tape failed. This is the same thing that happened to my trim pieces. All four pieces started to separate from the car. Over time, the adhesive just wears out. Like Florida, the sun in So. Cal. will just about make anything fail, including adhesive on car moldings. I just think that you need to re-tape the panel(s) with new molding tape, using a larger size. No need for contact cement either.

I did the following: I removed the tape and adhesive from the door and any remnents of tape and adhesive from the panel. I did not fill in the fin gaps on the rocker panel. I made sure that all areas that came in contact with the tape is very clean and oil free. I used Goo Gone and 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover to clean the area on the car and rocker panel. As you suggested, I did lightly "rough up" the edges of the plastic surface with rough sand paper. When I re-applied the tape, I made sure that the tape covered the entire area of the fins. You will see that the tape may not cover the width of the fins, cut the extra piece for an exact fit. Press hard to ensure that the tape contacts all the fins and other flat areas. I then let the tape set up on the panel for at least a few hours before installing it back on to the car.

In addition, I do not think that Honda had in mind to bolt these pieces to the car. I think that the holes you see in the pieces are probably air holes as part of the injected molding/fabrication process of the panels. I hope that this helps. Your panels will be back on your car like new.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
If you carefully apply a thin bead of silicone glue to the edges after the molding has been applied, it should prevent water and dirt from getting at the tape and weakening the bond over time.

I remember the first time I saw that an OEM item used sticky tape and thought, "You've got to be kidding." It is a pretty cobby method for something that's supposed to be permanent. I'd expect that from J.C. Whitney, but from Honda it's a little disappointing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks, JSm00thJaZ3 ;
I will try a better 'cleaner',( have some Goo Gone), and will let the tape 'set' on the RPT for a longer period (last time placed on trim, then right on car). Will 'rough up' and use better coverage of tape. Probably not use the extra 'filler' or contact cement THIS TIME. You may be correct about the 'injection mold plugs' since I did not see any 'threads' on the inside of the circle, but there were no similar 'round plugs' on the rear door pieces which were shorter.

·
Registered
310 Posts
ramblerdan said:
If you carefully apply a thin bead of silicone glue to the edges after the molding has been applied, it should prevent water and dirt from getting at the tape and weakening the bond over time.

I remember the first time I saw that an OEM item used sticky tape and thought, "You've got to be kidding." It is a pretty cobby method for something that's supposed to be permanent. I'd expect that from J.C. Whitney, but from Honda it's a little disappointing.
Yes, I agree. The side body molding also uses the 'sticky tape' method, and in some areas (along the front leading edge) the tape thickness leaves a 'GAP' between the molding and the body (great for wind, foreign debris & moisture). The thin clear silicone bead may just be the cosmetic and preventative 'cure'.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well today, the driver's side front Rocker Panel Trim FELL OFF also. Luckily it fell off this morning as I was leaving the driveway (and not along the highway) and I did not run over it. I did notice it when I returned, and stopped before driving over it.
Guess I'll have to wait for a warm, dry, sunny Florida day to remove the old tape from BOTH front doors and CLEAN and RETAPE (with Walmart red 3M tape). Wondering if I should also remove the RPT from the rear doors also and retape them? I may just put the silicone bead along the 'seams' and see how these shorter panels last. Would hate to lose one along the highway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts